"remove" the bass line from a track

Lots of Bassless tracks on spotify

Paul

5 Likes

Well, okay then…

1 Like

Well, I made a video ahem and I am having difficulty uploading. I am using MacBook Pro, and old one. I think I’m not good at computer stuff, but it appears I need to convert my files into a different format to post it here. I used Photo Booth to take the ahem video HAK ahem Phooey! Anyway, I wanted to do a recital so those who are interested in seeing what a “Beginner to Badass” student can do on week 13. (I started the challenge Mid-November, did every single exercise for the 30 Day Challenge.) After that, I found a handful of bass lines that I really enjoyed. I decided to focus on two that I became very passionate about. I play an average of 2 hours a day 8 days a week, but I have to force myself to stop and rest like a warrior. I was going to play for you Pink Floyd’s “Comfortably Numb,” I am wearing a Floyd shirt, but I could not play to save my life, so I decided to play Dire Straights “Sultans of Swing” and thought, “Well, I need to start somewhere.” This recital is a documentary for “B2B Week 13 Ninja Style.” I really want to show my teacher, @JoshFossgreen, what I can do since he last “saw me” (virtually speaking, of course) at the end of the challenge. @terb?

2 Likes

You can’t upload videos directly, @HannahWalker - those file types are not supported. You need to upload your video to some repository and then post a link to that repository here.

The easiest would probably be to start your own YouTube channel and upload there, then post the link here. But, perhaps there are even “simpler” solutions…

Good luck!

3 Likes

OMG! Nooooo! I do have a channel, but that is not how I imagined I was going to “break out.” (Oddly, I have a dozen or more subs.)

What the blimey heck is a repository? And who would go there, in all honesty? Not I. Boo, hoo, hoooooooo. Well then. I will have to gird my loins, or girdle would be more accurate.

5 Likes

Hehe, just a fancy word for a place where you can store a file and link to it… and you don’t need to “go” there, the link should embed the file (video here) directly here in the forum… so no “going” involved :grin:

Will people start checking your YT channel nevertheless? Sure, probably… so maybe you want to start a new one just for your Badass videos? And make it private?? By invitation only… (meaning: this crowd here)!

3 Likes

You know, I’m really laughing! The people who subbed are mostly people from the “conspiracy theorist family,” people who might hear me on a podcast and think I am somebody, so, Really, I’m actually crying with laughter at this moment.

2 Likes

Oh, so repository, as it were is not a place

2 Likes

Hey, you need to work with us non-native speakers here… maybe we don’t always pick the “best” words :joy:

3 Likes

You’re a non native speaker? I’d never have guessed it, not a single accent!

5 Likes

You could make another YouTube channel most likely?

2 Likes

or try different privacy settings on Youtube so that you can show us the video here with the direct link, but the video is not visible directly on your channel, if that’s what you want

3 Likes

You can upload the video as “unlisted,” then only people who see the link on the forum will see it (it won’t come up in Youtube searches, or show up on your channel’s video list).

5 Likes

Hi @terb, I was looking for how to remove bass in Reaper and found your very helpful post about it. Being new to Reaper, I can’t see from the screenshot in your post what you mean about the filter being automated, and only applied at times the bass is playing? Would you mind explaining further how this bit is set up, thanks? Cheers

6 Likes

Yep! It’s amazing! Not 100% perfect (but close!), but an excelent tool and way better than fiddling with EQ and filters

Alas, this:

4 Likes

hey @Mark_UK

the automation is this line with the blue/green curve (which here is a OFF/ON curve) :

virer-les-basses_auto

you can assign an automation to more or less anything in Reaper, and what it means is that you choose a parameter and you program how it evolves during the song. here you can see pretty clearly that my parameter “ReaEQ : Wet” is set to 0% the 13 first seconds, and then set to 100% after this point.

to create the automation you have to click on the little curve button on the bottom left of your track. you will have to choose the parameter and then you will have to program how you want it to behave.

do I answer to your question ?

5 Likes

Thank you @terb, yes that’s great!

5 Likes

I can add than applying the notch filter only when the bass plays is in fact not always a good idea. often it can sound pretty weird because the mix will change from one part of the song to another. so, it depends.

5 Likes

I’ll leave some examples for reference.

Original:

Bass removed

Percussion removed

Just voice

It can get better and less agressive if you invest some time fiddling with the levers. I just made those to demo it

3 Likes

@terb and @gcancella:

Guys, I have a song where I want to remove the bass track, but the bass is playing for almost the entire song between frets 9 and 14 and that mostly on the D and G strings. Other than “bass”, there is a piano and vocals in this song. Is there a realistic chance to get this filtered out???

Thanks!

1 Like