"remove" the bass line from a track

you have to try with a parametric EQ, but yeah it will probably be hard (or not really possible with only the EQ way)

4 Likes

parametric EQ? Can you explain please?

2 Likes

it’s an EQ where you can set the frequency, bandwith (“Q factor”), and of course level (gain). you can do your exact EQ curve centered on the exact frequency you want. My very first post on this thread shows a parametric EQ.

3 Likes

Is that the one you demoed in Reaper?

2 Likes

Reaper’s ReaEQ should work fine for this, yeah.

3 Likes

So far, I’ve only removed bass in Transcribe!. It’s okay, but not perfect. I’m hoping the Reaper method is better.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Transcribe has a graphic EQ, with a number of fixed frequencies to play with. So, a parametric EQ should be a more precise tool.

4 Likes

yes but definitly harder to use

4 Likes

If you want I can pass it through Rx7 to see if helps. Send me a link or the file via private message and I’ll try my best

4 Likes

Thanks! That could be interesting to try - my guess is that it might be tricky, but who knows what magic the RX7 can do!?!

Will PM you!

1 Like

Even if it doesn’t remove everything, it might be a big help for further EQ fiddling

4 Likes

In the meantime, I found this webpage:

Note: these are not the original songs, but all covers (fairly OK, AFAICT) and you can choose all kinds of options (remove vocals, or guitar, or… bass!). So, there are a gazillion songs that you can buy and download without a hint of bass on there!

5 Likes

I just got this as its basic level. and it. is. amazing. It takes me roughly 5-15 minuets per song to get rid of all the tracks BUT the bass for transcribing. And I don’t think anything ells I’ve tried can really hold a candle to it, unless you consider the price tag. in witch case transcribe is awesome.

2 Likes

I’ve used this site for two of my covers. Works very well.

3 Likes

I’ve purchased 17 of these so far, from the US version of the site ( Bass Backing Tracks - Instrumental Versions for Bass - Karaoke Version will take you right to the bass backing track section). They claim to have 37,079 songs available.

They are all covers (picture yourself sitting in with a local bar band). The instrumentation is generally pretty good, the vocals range from quite good to cringe worthy.

You get 4 versions of each song: one with the bass missing (of course), one with the bass and vocals missing, one with the bass alone, and one complete version. They click the song in if the bass comes in at the start, and they have redone the endings to eliminate fade-outs.

My only complaint is that despite the huge number of songs, they don’t have all the ones I want (probably more an indication of my eclectic taste in music).

4 Likes

I hear you… I guess this being (originally) for karaoke, they only have songs with vocals, but when it comes to my own preference in music, I tend to listen more to instrumental songs.

4 Likes

@gcancella I’m curious if that “less espensive” Elements version will remove bass. I’m not having much luck completely removing the bass with either Reaper or Transcribe, and would rather not spend $300 if I can avoid it.

4 Likes

Hi @PamPurrs,

I’m afraid not. The feature you’re looking for is called Music Rebalance, which seems to be only present on the Standard and Advanced versions.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want some basslines removed. I can’t guarantee it’s 100% perfect (less efficient with higher register basslines) but for most cases it works well enough

5 Likes

Well folks, after frustration with trying to remove the bass (with good quality) in both Reaper and Transcribe! with no success, I tried the trial version of this.
It works great, except you can’t save or export files while in the trial version. I was going to wait awhile before forking out the money, but then they sent me a 5% off coupon, so I couldn’t resist.
Now I have a fully functional version of RX8, so expect me to flood the Post your Covers thread with my covers.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

7 Likes

I have no part in this whatsoever

5 Likes