Replace strings on new bass?

Bought a Ibanez, base model, for $179. I’m a new player. People seem to recommend changing strings right off the bat. I’m pretty sure the buzzing is my fault, not the strings! Any thoughts on that?

3 Likes

Was it used or new?

If new, keep the strings. If used, I would change them. The strings themselves will not contribute meaningfully to buzzing - that’s usually technique and bass setup. Did you have the bass set up when you bought it?

4 Likes

It was new. Wasn’t set up. My instructor hasn’t mentioned anything. I tune it as needed. Still learning my way around amp and controls on bass.

4 Likes

Hi and welcome aboard.

As you’re new to playing, it’s a new bass, and you’re still finding your way around things, personally I’d recommend just leaving them on there for a spell, while you get accustomed to everything.

New strings are expensive, and they’re quite different, so when you buy some, you want to be getting a set that you’re going to like.

If you can, find out which make and gauge of strings are on there, so at least you have a starting point.
Meanwhile, leave them on, and get some mileage out of them while you get the feel of everything.

4 Likes

Oh cool, well if you have an instructor, just ask them if they think it needs a setup.

2 Likes

@Sagamore Welcome to the forum. I’m very new to the Bass as well and have found this the best place for advice and encouragement.
What made you want to take up the bass?

Paul

2 Likes

@Sagamore -

Those strings should be fine. Sometimes basses can have problem with how they are set up - meaning, there can be something off with the how high the strings are off the frets, frets can be too high, etc etc.

A new bass should have strings that will last you a good while.

If the rattle is there no matter how well you fret and how perfect the technique, there may be an issue with the set up, and you could try and learn and diagnose on your own or take it in to have it professionally set up.

3 Likes