Replacement Strings

Hi all,
I would like to know in your experience, which type(s) of strings are easier to play for a beginner? Would you recommend any brand/model in particular?

2 Likes

Easiest is the 45/105 regular round wound string set from either Ernie Ball slinky or Fender 45. They are very affordable but not the cheapest.

Flat wound are more forgiving and smooth to play but I would not recommend beginners to start with flats, it leads to too many bad habits.

2 Likes

It is difficult to come with recommendations here, as this is - IMHO - a very personal journey to find out what you like and dislike about strings and which strings will resonate with you (pun intended).

For me (and others, I am sure), the tactile experience is almost as important as the sound the strings provide (aggressive, brilliant, dull, dark, warm, …). If they feel like cheese graters, they are not going to stay on a bass; or, alternatively, I won’t play that bass (which really isn’t a good thing).

That said, for a nice tactile experience and a great versatile tone while still being affordable, I would recommend DR Pure Blues.

(The gauges you prefer is another thing to test; again, my personal preference would be slightly lighter gauges; i.e., 40-60-80-100).

2 Likes

Agreed, or D’Addario. Probably any set of roundwounds, 45-100 or 45-105, is fine if you’re just getting started. You’ll develop a preference over time.

5 Likes

D’Addario Rounds 45-105 are a safe, solid choice that are not expensive.

I’m not a fan of Ernie Ball strings.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend flats for a beginner.

3 Likes

Yeah, agree. I do prefer .45-.100 but either that or .45-.105 in rounds is a solid set. I also prefer D’Addario over Ernie Ball (by a lot). Elixir is very good too, actually smoother than D’Addario.

or at all :rofl:

(j/k)

5 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes