Resonance or Cracked Speaker?

Greetings all,
I am hearing a buzzing coming from my amp (Fender Rumble 15 V3) whenever I play “G” anywhere on the neck. I’m thinking it is some sort of resonant reaction in the amp. The amp is new (not even a year old). I don’t get any buzzing when I use my VOX Amplug and headphones.
Any thoughts?

1 Like

I’m not an expert at this stuff, but it’s good you tried another “amp”. Would be great if you also tried another bass. If it is under a year old then it should be under warranty as well if it is faulty.

3 Likes

If you get it with all you “G’s” on the bass, then it is very likely a resonance issue. First thing I would do is put the amp/speaker somewhere else in the room and/or put it on something soft - hear if that makes any differences.

The frequencies of the G’s might also be in resonance with something else in the room - maybe even something that isn’t there all the time, i.e., something you carry in and out. Heck, it could be a screwdriver or some keys lying on the amp or nearby etc.

Of course, if you can clearly hear the buzzing coming directly from the amp, then it must be the amp - then try the first approach (moving, putting something under it, …)

Good luck!

5 Likes

Check if any speaker screws are loose.

Also check if it comes through 'phones plugged into the amp headphone out. Unlikely but if it does then it’s a preamp problem.

6 Likes

Thanks @JT, @howard, @joergkutter.
I’ll try those suggestions when I get home from work.

4 Likes

I bought a Fender Rumble 500, and it rattled whenever I played high F#.
I returned it.

The replacement did the exact same thing.

I hope it’s not a structural problem like I ran into!!

4 Likes

@Gio Did you end up keeping the second one or did you exchange that also?

@Vik Does your Rumble 500 also rattle on an F#?

1 Like

Well, I tried tightening the speaker screws and a different placement of the amp and it didn’t help. I was able to get rid of the buzzing by turning down the first pot on the bass. I guess I was over-driving the amp somehow.

1 Like

Good questions, @eric.kiser . . . I was going to ask the same. :slight_smile:

IF I ever upgrade my 100 to a 500, I’d like to know.

1 Like

I kept the 2nd one.
And, because it only rattled (faintly) on the one note, and because it is my practice / little gig amp and (mostly) because when I play it, there will be drums and guitars and noise… it’s fine.
I kept it, I use it, and I don’t notice it ever.

1 Like

What is your big gig amp?

2 Likes

The big gig amp!!

It’s a Mesa Boogie M-2000 going into two Eden 4x10 XLT cabs. It’s louder than the loudest drummer by a lot.
So loud, that there is (most often) absolutely no reason to load the thing up and bring it to a gig. Not even with just one of the 4x10 cabs.

5 Likes

Mesa Boogie makes good stuff.

2 Likes

Lol. you don’t need to load it up and take to a gig cause you can play it where it is and they can still hear you.

2 Likes

Agreed. The funny part is that when I played it live, I actually used the full rig and 2 1x12 guitar amps.
So fun to be so. damn. loud.

2 Likes

It does give you an excuse to buy a cool '70s Funk Machine van to haul it all around in though.

7 Likes

Oh, howard.
If you only knew.
Here’s a photo of me and my wife and my 1 year old daughter… and my 70s funk machine… that we bought in the hopes we could travel in sick, shag carpet, vintage style as we toured the country following the band I was touring in.
This picture says everything about that tour. And that 70s funk machine.

3 Likes

Your family is adorable but that is a grim sight indeed, to see such a fine funk machine hauled aboard for a tow.

I love how the semi in the background has almost the same stripe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That van needed a Wizard on it! :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

What I wouldn’t give for a full wizard/dragon/unicorn/castle airbrush piece on my vehicle. Any vehicle. My bicycle. My wheelbarrow. Anything.

4 Likes