Returning to band rehearsal tomorrow!

Returning to band rehearsal Tue night for the first time since March. I cannot wait to make some noise! Not sure about my cohorts, but I will be wearing a mask to stay on the safe side since cases in Dallas seem to still be on the rise. Anyone else ventured out yet for a practice?

11 Likes

Good luck with your practice @lee_editorial.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

I go out all the time but have not jammed yet. I don’t ever wear a mask as I think this is a bunch of nonsense, but that’s just me. Best wishes on your practice.

6 Likes

I play in my churches praise band. We never stopped online worship services, so, we had practice before performance each week. We wore masks and kept social distance.

2 weeks ago we returned to in person services. Most people wear the masks. I personally wear the mask, as does the rest of the praise team. We follow the guidelines given by the government and the CDC.

We split services into 2 performances, and have Thursday night and Sunday early practice. So, it’s kind of unnerving when parishioners don’t wear masks. However, we go to the trouble to keep social distance.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs

We take care of my 80 year old mother in law who lives with us. (She has dementia) So I don’t want to risk bringing it home to her.

3 Likes

@mmrunyan1

Our church just recently opened up as well, but we (like the vast majority) are still just tuning in from home. I appreciate the church musicians who have continued to play through this, so thank you.

3 Likes

Good call. Normal masks are to protect others, not yourself, and they are extremely effective at this (it’s why surgeons wear them, after all.)

5 Likes

If I was sick, I would wear a mask, or better yet, not go out at all.

If I was a surgeon, I would wear a mask in the sterile operating room as required, since the patient is exposed to everything in the air.

1 Like

Yes, where I am, we have a building where we rent a room out. We haven’t been there for ages, but recently we’ve cleared it all out so that 3 of us can fit safely. The drummer can’t make it as he’s looking after his elderly parents, so it’s me, the singer and the guitarist. So with some backing drums, we’ve been down twice now and it’s been an absolute blast getting together again! Really getting into it again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The problem is, if you have been around others, you don’t know if you are carrying it or not. You simply don’t. Asymptomatic spread has been suspected as a major factor and tons of asymptomatic or lightly symptomatic people have tested positive.

3 Likes

@howard

Yes, that seems to be the issue. Either people don’t believe (or refuse to believe) that disease can spread by carriers who are asymptomatic and do not know they have it. Historically, this has been a simple scientific fact. Typhoid, Cholera, TB, Polio, Hepatitis, HIV and more have all been spread by individuals without symptoms. I know economies are important- but I think unfortunately we are in for an extended run on this one.

2 Likes

We could debate this matter for hours, but let’s get back to playing bass and buying gear :laughing:

5 Likes

@lee_editorial
We also take care of my 72 year old mother. It has definitely been a challenge. Many things in our lives have changed.

4 Likes

MY sentiment exactly.
Plus I hate them, they make me hot, sweaty, itchy, and claustrophobic.

3 Likes

There is clear evidence that wearing face coverings in public helps to reduce infection from COVID-19.

3 Likes

Here in Scotland we’re only just beginning to ease out of lockdown, so no band practice yet. We’re doing some stuff online using Google Meet, but I can’t wait to get back to the real thing!

1 Like