Reverend WattPlower bass. Any intel from the collective?

I stumbled onto something pretty cool at the local guitar hut the other day. Went in and asked the guys about “light weight” basses. They handed me the WattPlower 4 string and we put it on the scale at 6 pounds 8 ounces. Fits the bill for light weight, how’s it sound? Took it for a one hour test drive and I was impressed. There’s only one deal breaker that prevents the money from leaving my pocket. The only color it comes in is some mustard yellow tint that really stinks in my opinion.

I don’t know anything about Reverend guitars and I can’t see where that offer the WattPlower in any other color. Anyone else have any experience of thoughts on it? Thanks!

1 Like

I know nothing about them, but the one you are interested in might also come in emerald green, is this it?

2 Likes

That’s the WattPlower II, the next model up. It’s about 600 more for one humbucker. I’m looking for the reg WattPlower. Thanks!

2 Likes

yeah does look like only mustard in that model you tried (their website lists just the one finish)
finish

…the inlay is nice on those basses

maybe time for your first(?) refinish project?

1 Like

Reverend makes really nice guitars and basses.

2 Likes

Thanks, local guitar store has the same opinion but they’re also trying to sell axe’s.

1 Like

The mkII also has a reversed P. The 3 way selector is for Reverse P only, P only, and then mudbucker only.

The MKI used to come in a really awesome blue (Superior Blue) and an orangey/red. Those colors are discontinued as far as I know. You may be able to find a used one.

2 Likes

I’ve never played a Reverend but they have a good rep

1 Like

I bought a used MKII from reverb about a year ago for around $1100 USD. This was quite a bit below average used selling price at the time. You may stumble across a similar deal if you’re not in a hurry. I unfortunately can’t be of much help regarding my experiences with it. I’ve pretty much had it hanging on the wall the whole time. I wanted to do my learning on a standard scale length and not be switching between the two. For what it’s worth, it does sound and feel really nice, but I’m guessing you know that if You’ve demoed it in the store. One thing I will point out, for the MKII I can barely tell a difference between the p and reversed p. I don’t know if it is defective or maybe it’s just more noticable at louder volumes. I don’t have an amp. All in all it was kind of a silly impulse buy for me, I was in love and a bit panicked by the price going up. It went from about 1400 to 1700 new while I was doing my research. I don’t regret it at all though, look forward to put some more time into eventually.

2 Likes

What?! Have you never heard this bass through an amp?

2 Likes

Sadly no, just through an interface and a gaming headset. I was looking to remedy that, but decided I should learn to play better before making any more purchases. The amp I was eyeing, ampeg venture, is just too expensive for someone of my skill level. One day…

1 Like

they made them at some point in orange and blue too. so you could just wait for one to pop up on reverb.

2 Likes

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/nbd-reverend-wattplower.1476158/

And the beautiful blue.

Not seeing any currently listed, but who knows when one might pop up.

2 Likes

I have the Wattplower II and love it. Tons of tone possibilities. It’s my favorite bass, even beating out my Aerodyne, P Bass, and Lakland!

1 Like

I have a Reverend guitar - an Eastsider, their Telecaster - it is my favorite one to play. Absolutely nothing to complain about with it - lightweight, well put together, loved the way the neck felt straight out of the box. I’d happily get another Reverend instrument when the time comes.

Some of their color options definitely aren’t everyone’s first pick, though I admit that I adore the root beer sparkle Wattplower 2. If you look through the different models, you’ll see that certain ones (I think mostly guitars) have a color or two that is a dealer exclusive. Never hurts to ask one of them what the deal is and if you can make a suggestion.

Thanks for the good intel, the collective never disappoints. Time to call reverend and start looking for one!

My EB Stingray had some technical issues at a show and I was lent a Reverend bass to play. The Reverend bass weighed less than my EB and it had passive pickups. I liked the way the Reverend bass felt/played and sounded. I also liked the tone I was able to get out of the Reverend Bass. Reverend makes high quality bass guitars and I may add one to my arsenal.

2 Likes

Really good reputation for sure

I mentioned it before but if I buy another bass (and god I hope I don’t) it would probably be that ndegeocello signature model they make.

3 Likes

Not sure if you’re still on the lookout, but there is currently a blue Wattplower MKI and 2 Rootbeer MKIIs listed on Reverb. The blue could be cheaper but the MKIIs are a pretty decent price. Close to what the MKIs were going for new.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=wattplower