Rick Beato Ear Training Program

Has anyone tried this course? It’s currently on flash sale for $99, but that’s still a bit pricey for me, especially considering my chances of success with the whole thing.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of anybody here using it. Maybe someone will chime in and prove me wrong.

Nope, but have you tried Justin Guitar’s free one? I’m planning on doing it at some point.

4 Likes

not a chance would I spend that much on a topic so painful to master unless it came with some sort of guarantee that I could at least guess one note correct all the time!

10 Likes

I’ve thought about buying it several times, esp when he had a bundle of all his stuff for super cheap… but after reading some reviews of it I figured there are better ways/values out there. IIRC, people said anything from it’s not a bad course, it’s just a bit disorganized to it’s garbage.

these seem to be pretty well regarded by people:

https://tonedear.com

You could also check this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory/comments/1mde7c/the_ear_training_resource_guide/

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1: @John_E…. Personally, I don’t think I could bring myself to paying anything for an ear training course…. Kinda makes me wonder if aspiring painters need to take an eye course to paint pictures…. We’re talking “senses” here and the best way (my personal opinion) to hone in and develop those senses is by practice, practice, practice……

5 Likes

Most visual arts courses spend a fair amount of time looking at colours and how they work together.

4 Likes

This is probably just me, but Rick Beato is up there with Scott for people that I find entertaining but not conducive to learning.

10 Likes

Lot of neg reviews of his beato book…plus there is thst vid of him berating his 8yr old musical genius for not practicing enough that he put on you tube

6 Likes

His book is fine, it’s a reference book with lots of good material in it. A lot of people complain about the old one that was hand written.

My parents rode me all the time for not practicing enough. He seems to have a good relationship with his kids, what the internet thinks doesn’t mean anything. Kids get way worse in sports.

3 Likes

Not just you. I kind of find him a bit full of himself. And for me, the final kicker was him not including Steve Harris among the top rock/metal bassists of the 1980’s. I mean, it’s his list, but it doesn’t have to be mine :smiley:

That said, I totally dig his videos about Apple and how it’s gone to marketing wank and not technology. I totally relate.

5 Likes

It is absolutely worthless. The more I try to work through it the worse my ear gets. At one point I seriously thought I was tone deaf. Also it does not work well with safari. The apps that Josh recommends are way better. I wouldn’t bother with the book either. If you don’t watch the YouTube channel the book won’t make much sense. Plus it is mainly geared towards guitar players.

3 Likes

It’s funny, I subbed to him just because of his Apple rant about a year before I got back into music. I had no idea he did music stuff and I hadn’t played anything in about 30 years lol

1 Like

Do the Talking bass ear training when its on sale.

If I’m not mistaken Justin is a friend of @JoshFossgreen

Justin is a good teacher and the price is right? :+1:

2 Likes

Nope, don’t know Justin at all! I’ve seen a few of his lessons briefly though and they seemed solid!

6 Likes

I’ve paid for an ear training course, I won’t say which. They are very helpful but I can almost guarantee all of them are going to tell you to do aural training (trying to sing the note you’re playing out loud to internalize the sound). They start with the fifth/octave, the major scale, then intervals, chromatics etc. Hope this helps save you some money

1 Like

ear training is one area where i personally think you can get by with just a decent app, i use functional ear trainer. i have also done the talking bass one, which is also good (but not free obvs).

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m not actually sure of the point of an ear training course per se. Ear training seems like something you just need to actively do, not observe. You could probably pack an entire “course” into one 10-min youtube video explaining why you need to sing, and which intervals to start with. Maybe an example song list for each interval.

1 Like

Sounds like it will probably require work; I’m not buying your system :wink:

3 Likes