Rickenbacker growl mod?

So, I spent some time thinking about a next bass. Browsing web. YouTube. And I absolutely fell in love with Rickenbacker growl. It’s so distinctive of a sound. I have to have a bass with that sound. But Ricks are really expensive. But. Is there any potential electro mod available that could replicate that signature growl? Or am I about to embark on a journey of saving money for that bass?

I am not particularly blown away by the looks of Rickenbacker, so I wouldn’t mind if that sound came from gutted, modded Squier or Sire.

One can only hope.

5 Likes

I have no personal experience, but I’ve heard Ricks are extremely heavy (In addition to pricey).

5 Likes

Ric’s are single coil mounted on a neck through design so the bridge and pickup are mounted on one piece of wood.

Ric pickups are easy to get, but the bass itself could be a challenge

Could probably do it with plugins, @howard would know more, out of my league there

4 Likes

I love how the tone of that bass seems like … it’s all run through overdrive distortion and then compressed. It gives the growl across whole tone. So that’s why I think the electronic guts will play a huge role. But I was afraid if that build itself wouldn’t be a major factor. :frowning: Plugins sounds like really unsatisfying way how to get that sound. :smiley: :confused:

Ha, I found out that there’s Rickenbacker vst in Komplete. :open_mouth: Even sampled there’s that distinct sound.

3 Likes

I’ve learned from Sweetwater that the average is 9-10 lbs.

The price of Rickenbackers surprised me. They are expensive but a Strandberg or Ibanez Prestige model will make a bigger hole in one’s wallet.

Of course plugins are the most economical choice. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs i Pam, @

The Ricky is not as heavy as my EBMM stingray, although they are probably more expensive if you can find one in Australia, very hard to get here,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Expensive in a subjective way. :slight_smile: I had this idea to get my third and first proper, pro instrument as a “birthday present” in September. I found out that bass is here to stay for me, I spend a huge amount of time with that instrument in hands, so I wanted some “endgame” thing. Aerodyne, MM, Fender Player J-Bass or Sire V9. Something at this price point. Ricks are around twice that much, so I guess Christmas present is more probable than September birthday present.

Because I want that bass bad! I will probably fix myself with some Squier for modding and fill the piggy bank in meantime.

4 Likes

We’re not the folks who will talk you out of a bass.

I just ordered a Sire P5 today, but is months before it will come in. Which suits me fine. It’s for modding. I think Sire and Squier are great platforms for mods.

4 Likes

I know. I know. And tbh. when I identified that the sound I really, really love is coming from that bass, I knew, I will have to get Rickenbacker bass. I will probably fix my itch with Classic Vibe '60s J-Bass and pimp the hell out of it, but down the line … Ricky 4K series is there. God, that sound.

Sire basses are bonkers value/price. I have M2 and for 350? bucks? A lot of fun. Great mod bed also because of that build quality. Have fun!

4 Likes

Could try this?

And follow this dude’s tutorial:
https://youtu.be/p0xpJQ3rN9I

5 Likes

Hey @wellbi ,
I would try a Ricky before i lashed out big bucks for one, they are a unique beast compared to other basses.
More suited to pick playing than finger as the rear pick up chrome surround doesn’t provide the best thumb rest, although i have adapted to playing it over time.
If you use floating finger technique it wont be a problem.
I just pulled mine from its case to have a look and feel and i must admit it is the most beautiful looking piece of artwork i have seen, and it feels magnificent in my hands.
Save your pennies, you wont be disappointed, i have flats on mine so it’s really smooth, :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Sorry @Paul ,
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig.
Gotta have the real deal IMO,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

It sounds really good for such cheap instrument. But it seems to lack the growl on low, low-mids. Maybe the build or the pure DI is behind that. … I will take a look in to that more anyway. Thanks.

3 Likes

:laughing:

No problem. It’s basically just for the looks and feel. You won’t get the authentic Rickenbacker tone from these but with the help from some plugins you can come closer. That’s why I linked the tutorial too.

I fully agree with @TNKA36 that the real deal is the way to go, but to me this seem like a very cheap and fun alternative into the world of Ricks.

5 Likes

I will save my pennies. And test it at the shop. But at the moment … it’s kind of ridiculous how much that particular instrument calls me.

4 Likes

I had those same calling’s @wellbi ,
I bought 2 of them, the black and the burgundy glow

I reluctantly sold the black one to @Mac , then i bought the EBMM Stingray to replace it, they are nice but not a Ricky,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Exactly this black or fully matte black are the colours I would love to have. Great looking rack!

4 Likes

The Rickenbacker is a quite unique bass to play and not like anything else I have.
It is relatively heavy, the neck is chunky, no body cut out/shaping for your ribs , BUT the sounds you can get out of one are so worth it.
I’ve got a zeromod on mine which in all honesty I hardly use as you can rest your thumb on the edge of the neck pickup surround.
I’m in the process of adding some custom pickups allegedly made to sound like Lemmy Kilmisters bass although the originals are quite outstanding.
You can dial the pickups in to play just about any genre too and it’s a classic. One of the top 4 most recognisable basses ever made.
Thanks to @TNKA36 and actually getting chatting to him through this very forum I am now a very proud Rickenbacker owner.
If you get the chance definitely play one first. I don’t think Ricks are the kind of bass that everyone who picks one up falls in love with

7 Likes

I just wonder … if someone says try a bass. Is it to try the model or the particular one bass? Because as I am looking through local shops, there are only 4000euro Vintage 4000 models available in showrooms. But that 2000e is available at Thomann. Can I found out on these vintage ones and order current base 4003 over the internet? Does it work this way?

4 Likes

I think there is not that much changed between the 4001 and the 4003 ( possibly a better truss rod in the later models and less chance of the dreaded tail lift on the bridge)
I’m pretty sure if you give an early one a go
and like it you’ll be pleased with a later model

4 Likes