Right forearm placement

That’s actually relatively high for him too.

Looks like Mark Lanegan there with him too. RIP Mark.

2 Likes

I play standing up, so there is not time for resting. I thought everybody played like this?

1 Like

@AnotherJosh The question was more about resting the forearm on the body of the bass, and not about resting in general.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Haha perfect

1 Like

You, my friend, have the muscular stumps of a bass man:

4 Likes

That’s how I wear my bass, sitting or standing. Very comfortable either way.

When sitting with the bass over my right leg, I have maybe 1/4” of clearance under the waist of the body and the top of my leg, but the instrument’s still hanging from the strap. But I find that I prefer sitting with my knees wide apart and the bass hanging centered With my torso. To each his/her own comfort zone for maximal playability.

2 Likes

So yeah, i find myself switching up doing exactly that. If it’s something where there’s a lot of repetitive 1/8’s, I’ll have the cutout over the right leg. Things that require more focus or learning something new i like to have it over the left leg. This lets me see the fingerboard a little better.
Everyone has their own thing, im still looking for mine. All i know for sure is i really like playing.

2 Likes

Perfection!

Accurate, nuanced, biting, beautifully executed satire sniper shots as only the Simpsons can deliver!

1 Like

Music ! Beautiful music!

1 Like

Maybe switching between legs is your thing.

1 Like

Might be. Clumsy fingers and lack of rythym are.

1 Like

Watching some players, when Miyako of Lovebites gets ready to to some serious shredding, she puts her left foot on the monitor and rests her guitar on her left leg, and shreds.

She lets in hang when chugging. That’s her thing.

It’s definitely easier when playing above the 12th fret… it reduced how much you have to push the headstock away from you to get a comfortable angle for your hand/wrist.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice so far all! Could someone help me with below as I just started playing bass and want to get it right from the beginning:

I just bought a Neotech mega strap as it is meant to be the best. I bought the ‘long’ version as I had hoped to try playing my bass lower to keep my right arm relatively straight. However, I am really confused as even the long strap is not long enough to try to do this?

Any support or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I think Josh covers this in the course but I forget.

Generally you want to rest your forearm on the front of the bass body and provide counterpressure with it to offset fretting pressure on the neck. You want to avoid needing to squeeze with the fretting hand - fretting should just be a light press of your fingers.

1 Like