Right hand plucking hit the pickup

Hi, I just had the Fernandes fr-40. It sounds great to me but there’s a problem I encountered that did not happen with my previous PBass. That when I pluck the strings, especially the D and G string, I alws hit the pickup and it creates a
plastic sound. Although no sound go to the amp but it’s feel and sound are uncomfortable to me. I wonder If it is because of my right hand position or because of the bass?
Here’s the bass:

3 Likes

Your fingers hitting the pickup is not necessary a bad thing. The strings hit the pickups now that’s not a good thing.

You can just tighten the pickups screw to lower the pickups and/or raise the string action at the bridge, this should fix your strings hitting the pickups and produce no sound. As I said before, fingers hitting the pickups is not a bad thing.

Many players, myself included prefer to have fingers contact underneath the strings that’s why I install fingers ramp. It actually provides consistent feel and it could lead to better, smoother and faster playing. Some pickups even come curves with radius similar to your bass’s fingerboard.

5 Likes

It also looks like your pickups are high and uneven. Maybe they need to be adjusted.

1 Like

Split precision pickups are often setup unevenly with the center of the pickups raised a bit. This is to compensate for the curve of the fretboard. If the A and D string aren’t louder than the others, it’s probably setup okay

2 Likes