Righty-vs-Lefty Percentage On The Forum

Hi! I’m a lefty player, which way do you play?

• Right Handed
  • Left Handed

0 voters

2 Likes

Interesting concept because as a right hander its actually my weaker left hand doing all the hard work

6 Likes

Same here! Even something as random yet simple as wiggling my fingers seems so much faster on my right hand.

2 Likes

I’m a LEFTY and I have thought the same thing. I was thinking the fingering or fretboard work should be done by my dominant hand… go figure. I have a buddy that plays bass and is a righty, it’s tough to chug through single notes on his bass. Our bodies and minds work in mysterious ways.

4 Likes

Bass right
Rifle both

4 Likes

I play bass righty. I do just about everything righty with the exception of a few things. When I was in archery, I couldn’t hit a bullseye to save my life, but when my archer coach switched me to a left handed bow, I hit the bullseye every time. Weird.
I shoot my guns righty.
I can shoot pool either righty or lefty, which makes me a fierce competitor on the tables.

5 Likes

That is a very useful ability.
My eldest daughter is right handed but shoots a mean .22 with her left. Very handy when we used to do a lot of bunny shooting out of my 4x4
I too did a lot of archery in my younger days and have considered taking up bow hunting again as I’m no longer allowed firearms of my own

3 Likes

We have a good amount of leftys it seems!

1 Like

yep i always wondered that myself and considered learning left handed so my dominant hand could do all the fretting. however i have NO rythmn in my left hand. i still have a proclem coordinating both hands to the same string sometimes. LOL

4 Likes

I added my vote, and it’s interesting that right now 6 out of 28 say they play left handed. That is roughly 20%, which is higher than the generally estimated 10-12% or so in the global population. Of course, this is not a scientific study, but still interesting. I’d bet that if everyone who is registered at the BassBuzz forum participated in this poll, the right handed percentage would increase.

4 Likes

Yes. Surprisingly so. Good poll @Glitch.

2 Likes

I’m left handed but play right. One of the main factors was the lack of choice for left handed players. So I chose to learn a way that would enable me to BUY MORE GEAR!!! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Holy crap! Are all those yours? That’s a really nice collection.

2 Likes

No Eric I’m the exact opposite of this. I’m fighting to have as little gear as possible and just play more. Reverb doesn’t make it easy though!

This is my space.

5 Likes

Bringing up an older post. I was thrilled when I realized Paul McCartney played lefty, thrilled because I was a lefty too. I went to all the guitar shops in my hometown of Nashville, and I never saw any lefties. In fact , my first lefty was my 1978 Ric 4001, and it took Rickenbacker six months to fill the order and ship it to my local dealer. I was breathless when I opened the case and saw the first lefty I’d ever seen, and close up! In the meantime, I’d just left guitars and basses strung righty and turned them upside down. I’ve cursed my luck when righties get models not available to lefties. A Tele thin line, for example. But I’m glad I refused to go righty. It not only feels natural, but it’s been a novelty bandmates enjoy.

4 Likes

My friend’s son is left handed but ended up learning guitar right handed. His guitar teacher tried handing him a left-handed guitar, but it felt wrong because he’d spent so much time air guitaring right handed. So he ended up learning as a righty.