RIP Chick Corea

Perhaps even those of you who are not really into jazz or fusion might have heard of Chick Corea, who passed away two days ago. Among many other things, he co-founded Return to Forever, one of those fusion supergroups of the 70s, which had Stanley Clarke on the bass.

He leaves behind lots of great music, but given the sad news, maybe something more pensive, but nonetheless very lively and uplifting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IHNYq6stw

7 Likes

I saw him playing live with Frank Gambale, maybe 15 years ago. I was just a few meters from the stage. It was really a great concert.

3 Likes

That was probably with a later incarnation of the Elektric Band… or revival perhaps!? Or maybe it was Frank Gambale’s project?

2 Likes

it was Elektric Band I think

2 Likes

Such a brilliant, wonderful musician and person. Thanks for the tribute post, @joergkutter

4 Likes

wow, very sad news.

3 Likes

I saw him for the first time with his Akoustic band in 2005 in Hong Kong. One of my colleagues was able to get us seats in front of the stage because he used to be Chick’s touring sound engineer. It’s one of the concerts I’ve enjoyed the most.

It was especially fun to hear stories before the show about Chick and how humorous and playful he was.

4 Likes