RIP Joe Dierkes (@Jazzbass19)

@Jazzbass19 Joe, you have done all of us proud with your strength. You’re a treasured member of our community…now as far as the Rick, buy it…keep in mind that the Grim Reaper from Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey also played bass (though his was a standup). The doctors may say stuff like 6 months but they never know for sure…enjoy the Rick until the end of your journey.

Scott

7 Likes

Due to some leftover legal bills and funeral expenses, any purchases will have to be delayed, folks . . . :frowning:

I know you’ve all been pulling for me to get the Ricky, and although it’s not completely off the table, it will be some time (if at all) before I can get it.

THANK YOU ALL so much for your kindness, support, and flattering words! They really mean an awful lot to me, and I wish I could adequately express my overwhelmed feelings towards them.

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Joe, you do whatever you need to do, especially when it comes to your health and the bills associated with it. At this point, we want you to enjoy yourself with the time you have left

6 Likes

Who wants to pitch in for a Rick for Joe? I’m in.

10 Likes

No, PLEASE don’t . . . although I appreciate the offer, I will try to swing it by myself :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

GREAT news, Joe! Get that Rick!!!

3 Likes

How about a GoFundMe or a GiveSendGo? Joe gets the Rick, and hopefully that helps him Motorhead the cancer to hell. However, if Joe decides that it should be so, the Rick will get put up for charity auction to fund cancer research.

@Jazzbass19 , what do you say?

We were called the nicest place on the interwebs numerous times. Maybe we could prove it.

6 Likes

No . . . Please! Thank you all very much, and I REALLY appreciate your thoughtful and kind gesture to do this for me, but as long as I am comfortable here with my son, that’s all I need. You kind folks have nothing to prove to me! . . . :slight_smile:

My son and I DID discuss this at lunch and we’re planning on doing some things together. He and I are going to play around with the new American Ultra Jazz Bass connected to one of those “play along” Rocksmith-type systems . . . I’m not sure of the name.

I am very weak anyway, and although my intentions are good, remember that I could also GO at any time! :frowning: Due to some legal, financial, and funeral issues, I don’t want my son and daughter in law to ALSO have to be burdened with a Rickenbacker Bass when I’m gone. It’s a long story, trust me!

The overwhelming and heartfelt feelings that you all have expressed to me in this topic is more than enough to make up for a dozen Ricky basses! . . . :wink: . . :heart:

Cheers
Joe

16 Likes

Joe,

Whatever you wish, man.

Just know that we’re all ready, willing and would be honored to do anything to get you that Rick.

No burden, no hardship, no shame. It would bring us joy.

9 Likes

Joe @Jazzbass19 ,

You have been in my (and many of our) thoughts for months, and I am so sorry to hear this latest news.

We all here know that death is certain, but that knowledge still does not take away the “sting.” However, you our dear friend have shown all of us how to face this inevitable moment with MUCH grace and dignity. Just like a true, Virginia Gentleman!! :wink:

I wish you and your family the kindest thoughts, and prayers for your peace, and the comfort only God can give!!

9 Likes

@Jazzbass19 !
You were here before I was here!
I have a hard time imagining this virtual space without you.
Thank you for all you’ve brought to all of us on the forums. I’m gutted to hear the most recent report.
I hope you enjoy every moment… with a new Rick.

8 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed your posts in the forums. I hope you’re here longer than you expect.

7 Likes

Nothing beats a good Jazz Bass. Not even a Ric

8 Likes

Damn! Sorry to hear that @Jazzbass19. Remember, It’s never the end until it’s really the end!

Enjoy every new morning and have as much fun as you can with people you love.

And as mentioned by a few people here, it would be great if we could collectively help you to buy the Rick. Not as a pity, not as some proof of anything. We are all Bassbuzzers in the end and there’re just a few things more exciting than a fellow Bass head posting a “new catch” in “Show us your basses”. Trust us, we would all enjoy it with you.

Nonetheless, have the best time you can in the circumstances you are in!

8 Likes

Joe, I know I’ve said this before but it’s worth saying again.

When I first started here, you were so kind, welcoming, and helpful, I decided to try and be like you when I started spending more and more time here.

Thanks for setting the bar high. It has gone a long way towards making the BassBuzz forum the friendly place it has become.

22 Likes

If i spoke as well as @eric.kiser,i would have said exactly this. Thank you, Eric.

8 Likes

@Jazzbass19 Joe, I just want to add my appreciation for your unfailing good nature and cheer(s) to this forum. I think everyone will miss your kind and positive comments to one and all. It sounds like you have things in order, and can have time with your son and family. I know playing the bass as much as you like and are able to will be part of that. I wish you fair winds and following seas!

7 Likes

Joe, yeah, I have known a little, but did not know how far it has advanced and how much time you may or may not have left. No matter how old you are, it always seems like its too young to die, and life is always too short, and you should do the things you enjoy as often as possible for as long as possible, on the toys you enjoy doing them on.

I am also a firm believer in Music as a healer, it can heal in so many ways and forms, and although, it will not ever make anybody immortal, I do believe it could help to elongate your time left, if you are playing on a bass that truly makes you happy, and making music is magical like that, and it does heal, I truly believe it.

"There have been so many times I thought I might lose it,
The only thing that has saved me has always been music"
-The Beastie Boys
I can’t recall for sure if it was Adam Yauch (MCA) or Adam Horovitz (The King Adrock), but I don’t think it was Mike Diamond
I will have to put that song on and give it a listen soon to remember who said it.
My gut says Adrock

Anyway, back to you Joe, Yes, I think you should buy that Rick and play it, and pass it on to a loved one with love when you do leave. Or bury yourself with it, in case you can actually take it up to heaven with you.

If I were to bury my favorite bass with me, I may as well just put it in the box with me when I get cremated, cuz it would just burn up where I am going.

Yeah, I am having some mixed emotions right now. on one hand, I am getting my knee replaced next week, and things are looking good for me health wise, but I have other reasons at the moment that are making me consider some outrageous purchases for some basses that I may only get to play for a short time, at least for a short time for a long time, then I will get to play them again, but I won’t bring that into this thread, its about you Joe, you are one of my favorite people not just here, but on all forums I have ever been on, but I must admit, although, I have been an active member of quite a few other forums in the past, and had my favorites there, I would be lying if I said I went on any other forums these days, so all my favorite forum friends are here on bass buzz, but you are a stand out Joe, and will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.

8 Likes

I have been doing some thinking.
I have heard that it is indeed true that a crowd funding effort can get your family in a bind with the IRS in case you decide to… join Lemmy, so to speak.

But what if Joe would BORROW a bass from one of the forum members – for life?

4 Likes

@Jazzbass19 - Joe, it has been a pleasure getting to talk to you on this forum. Your legacy is one of kindness, support, and just overall good vibes. The forum is what it is because of your presence. I’m so happy you’re making good memories with your son. Having been through this with a parent myself, that’s the stuff that’ll be with your family for years and years in the future.

Take it easy, good buddy. <3

13 Likes