RIP Joe Dierkes (@Jazzbass19)

Hey @Jazzbass19 Joe… I know I haven’t been posting much in the last year or so but I still lurk and read posts here and there. Your post happened to be at the top of the weekly feed so it was first on the list to read.

I’m at a loss for words friend! I hope you don’t mind me using the word friend. I could tell you were a super friendly and good guy when I showed up here. I know you were always kind and positive in your replies to my posts that is why I will leave it as “friend.” I was unaware of your condition until reading your post today. I’m glad you are staying as comfortable as you can. I haven’t read any of the other post, but my advice to you is, if buying the Rickenbacker makes you happy and puts a smile on your face you should do it.

Take care buddy, my thoughts are with you!!
Rich O

I came back for an edit… I have read all the posts now and I’m glad that we are all in agreement about the bass!!!

8 Likes

Hi Joe,

You have made my day. You are equal parts inspiring and kind. No one else in the world deserves a Rick more than you do. Please get one immediately.

Regarding where, forget Sweetwater. I just checked and Musician’s Friend has several in stock right now, new and used. They range from under $2K to $2300.

Order one and have them expedite the shipping. If not now, when? And, if not you, who?

We come into this world alone, get a slap on the ass, and cry. Go out with all of us, slapping a badass bass, and smiling. Please.

Good thoughts and best wishes, man. Now, get busy.

Mike

9 Likes

Joe, so sorry to hear about your situation. I can’t even imagine what it must be like to walk that path, but as others have said, you seem to be doing it with grace. I, like you, have a Ric on the bucket list. Not sure if you pulled the trigger at Sweetwater yet, but if they sell out, Willcutt guitars has 27 of them in stock. Let us know what you end up getting, would love to see a Ric pic.

8 Likes

Joe, your kind and thoughtful words always bring a smile to my face on this forum. I’m happy to share a love for the same instrument with someone like you.

8 Likes

hey @Jazzbass19 , I’m so sorry to read this. I don’t know what to say … except that, in my opinion, you should buy the Rick you want and noodle with it. it’s, kind of, a part of the “living as comfortably as possible” thing.

8 Likes

Hey Joe - you go out and get that Rick. You’re definitely one of the good guys and you deserve it. Stay positive and keep up with us !

I’m waiting for the Rick pics …

9 Likes

Hey Joe, sorry to hear you are going through this, my thoughts are with you.
As for the Rick, anything that keeps a glint in your eye or a smile on your lips is not frivolous, it is an absolute necessity.

8 Likes

Took me some time to recover from this.

Joe, a Rick 400x is an absolute b1tch. It’s made out of unaffordium, it’ll rattle and shake, and you will want to stick your fingers in a pencil sharpener.
And you’ll love every second of it. After 40 years, I still regret selling mine.

Get it. You deserve it. Get a pick, turn down the midrange, turn up the highs, sound like Chris Squire. Make it deserve you.

8 Likes

i will be thinking of you today joe. get that rick.

9 Likes

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us @Jazzbass19. I’m struggling to find words that don’t sound dumb in a forum post. I’m so grateful for how much you’ve contributed to our forum family here, since the very early days.

Wishing you grace and ease through whatever happens next! Which should probably include a Rickenbacker. :stuck_out_tongue:

17 Likes

Just ran across this Ric on FB. Might be worth to check it out. And you could get it much quicker I would think.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/680440889664592/?media_id=3&ref=share_attachment

7 Likes

///h

3 Likes

Sorry to hear what you are going through Joe… I hope you can extend it as long as possible and enjoy life as best as you can. If the Rick is on your bucketlist you should defo go for it! If it’s impossible to get you can always get something equally as cool. Please take good care of yourself. Big hug!

5 Likes

I tend to be a quiet reader (rather than a posting participant) on this forum due to being a new bass player with limited knowledge. Having said that, I am always quite touched and grateful for the information I gain from everyone’s friendly, supportive sharing. I often laugh aloud at the good-natured banter! :slightly_smiling_face: Joe, I have especially appreciated your thoughtful, kind, and encouraging responses—your respect of others and sensitivity to their concerns and questions has clearly been noted and appreciated by many in this forum. I want to thank you for that—your kindness has rippled to touch the lives of many. I am sincerely saddened to learn of your illness. I will keep you in my prayers for peace and comfort—in this life’s journey and the spiritual journey beyond. May joy and love accompany you, always.

12 Likes

Why, thank you for your kinds words as well, @RA . . . :slight_smile:

I hope i’ll continue onwards longer than they say! In fact, my son and I are going to discuss my Rickenbacker today and then we’re having lunch . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

10 Likes

We’re looking forward to the pictures!

7 Likes

Let us know how it turns out.

5 Likes

Thanks, @Wombat-metal . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Cheers to being here and celebrating it…with Rickenbacker in hand, of course! :clap:t2::clap:t2:

7 Likes

So… what’s the verdict on the Rickenbacker deba-- wait. Not even close to lunch yet where you are.

Please keep us posted!

4 Likes