Risky

In today’s very polarized times it’s very easy to twist things into a political statement, so it may be slightly risky to post this. Please do not do this here. That is not my intent nor the intent of the creator of this, I would think. But I have never seen anything on music theory as eye opening as this. I would love to see theory taught as this would like it. Warning: it is EXTREMELY long, 44 minutes.

6 Likes

@howard posted this a couple days ago. It’s good stuff.

4 Likes

Oh damn, I didnt see. That Howard guy is on it.

4 Likes

It’s good enough to be double posted :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s a fantastic evisceration of the teaching of music theory, one of the best 45 minutes I have spent in a while.

Plus, lots of Nahre Sol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s an Adam Neely gem!

2 Likes

It’s a great video and very thought provoking.
What I would caution against is blaming the authors in the main of the music theory books. They are just regurgitating what they themselves have been taught.
What’s needed is better more inclusive music education right from the early years of someone’s musical training. Then we will get authors and teachers who are more rounded in what they know.

4 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

will have to give this a look. i’m fascinated by theory even if i dont get it all. surely by drip feeding it will be there when i need it.

3 Likes

Yes, watch it. It’s not teaching any theory, just explaining the history of it.

3 Likes