Roseacer maintenance

Guys, I’m getting conflicting information on the internet about whether it is possible to use lemon oil on a roseacer fretboard.
What’s your experience?

1 Like

All wood could benefit from hydration every now and then. I treat my fingerboard with oil every so often the same way I do with my cutting board.

2 Likes

Lemon oil is used specifically to clean the fretboard. After that you have to nourish the fretboard wood with an oil like linseed oil. And you’ll get a perfectly nice neck. I do this (the linseed oil) each time I change my strings. And I use lemon oil prior to that, only when the fretboard is dirty.

Also it’s always a good idea to polish the fretwire before the linseed oil, to finally get a perfect neck.

1 Like

Also note that you should absolutely not use actual lemon oil as it is way too astringent.

Guitar “lemon” oil is actually mineral oil with a very small amount of lemon oil mixed into clean the fretboard, as @terb says.

It will also nourish it as long as it is not full 100% lemon oil, as will mineral oil or linseed oil.

Laurent, do you use boiled or raw linseed oil?

2 Likes

I’m not sure, I’ll see what is written on the bottle tomorrow !

3 Likes

It has to be boiled Linseed oil. The raw one is quite nasty. lol.

I also like the Teak oil I use it on my $500 cutting board, it works well there and it work well on the fretboard as well. It’s light and easy to wipe the oil out, no residue.

3 Likes

I swear by this stuff. I think I’ve had this same bottle for 20 years :rofl:

3 Likes

I use camellia oil for my Katanas (as in: japanese Swords). Can this also be used instead of Linseed oil or Teak oil??!

1 Like

It would seem so?

2 Likes

Yes, but I don’t trust a knife maker about basses! Though I have used the oil on the wooden handle of one of my better knives, no problem.

2 Likes

All unfinished wood, right? I was always led to believe there’s no point in oiling lacquered wood :thinking:

3 Likes

So I have two bottles. On one there is nothing written, just “linseed oil for wood treatment”. On the other one it’s written “refined linseed oil”. I’m quite sure that both are boiled.

3 Likes

Why not just use guitar fretboard oil? amazon, $8 for a bottle that’ll last until you’ve played your last note.

That’s what we’re talking about, in different types. The stuff sold as “fretboard oil” would usually be mineral oil with probably a little lemon oil in it. That’s what D’Addario’s “Lemon Oil” is anyway.

1 Like

Would the Dunlop 65 be suitable?

Which one? Formula 65 is a line of a bunch of products…

I saw the yellow one, lemon oil.

1 Like

that is fine for cleaning it, yeah. They also make a fretboard conditioner to nourish it.

1 Like

I use the music nomad, it smells good, well not offensive.

1 Like

This^^^ :100:

Music Nomad F1 Oil is great. It cleans and protects untreated fretboards perfectly well, and a bottle will last forever.

2 Likes