Rumble and DAI question

No I don’t have such an adapter, but I probably order one from Amazon.

Can you elaborate on what you mean though?

1 Like

The 1/4" plug part of the combo input should be able to take both line and instrument level inputs. It’s not clear to me that the XLR part of the combo input can. It is likely mic/instrument level only.

And your amp is almost assuredly outputting at line level from the XLR out.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/whats-the-difference-between-mic-instrument-line-and-speaker-level-signals/

note:

IMPORTANT: Be careful not to send a line level signal to a preamplifier expecting a mic or instrument level signal.

This is probably what is happening.

3 Likes

That’s really confusing. Do you mean there’s a difference if I use a 1/4 inch jack adapter as opposed to connecting the XLR connector directly? Even though it’s the same source and same input?

4 Likes

Yep, looking at the specs:

MAXIMUM INPUT LEVEL: +2.7 dBu (MIC IN) /+20.7 dBu (TRS IN)

The amp line out is most likely +4dBu, professional level line level.

This is probably common across most inexpensive audio interfaces, not just Zoom. Unless it’s a mixer, which should handle line in on its XLR.

4 Likes

Okay Ill study up on that. Thanks!

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

yeah the UX1 used to behave exactly the same way. XLR and jack seems to be the same input but as they’re not intended for the same use, the internal gain (and expected level) are different.

2 Likes

Classic amplified signal issue - just because the plugs connect, don’t assume it won’t start a fire :slight_smile:

I only thought about this recently with DAI’s myself - the only XLR I had seen before was on mixers. Just checked and yeah, the max level on the XLR ins on the mixer I owned was +21dBu - and they had mic preamps. But were nice switching inputs.

3 Likes

@howard just to be clear, the adapter I need is XLR to MALE 1/4 jack, correct?

1 Like

Yes, can try that and see if it works. There might be different plug options as well (TS/TRS, etc); not sure what would work best there.

3 Likes

I ordered XLR to TRS

4 Likes

@PamPurrs what’s the Input 2 on your U-44 connected to?

2 Likes

I’m guessing her drum machine

2 Likes

Drum machine

1 Like

Correct!

1 Like

Two points for Howard Gryffindor!

I recommend watching this video to understand the difference in cables:

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve got a lot of studying to do.

1 Like

Good video. I particularly enjoyed his visual demonstration of the difference between female connector and male connector. I watched that part several times.

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Problem solved! Thanks everyone!

3 Likes