Rumble and DAI question

This is a question for all you techie guys on the forum:

I currently have my Rumble amp head connected to the DAI via the “send” port of the effects loop connected to one of the inputs of the DAI. It works, but seems like a rather weird way to do it
It seems to me, if I connect an XLR cable to the “line out” of the amp head and connect it to an input of the DAI, it should work the same way. Am I wrong?
When I try connecting the XLR cable from the Line Out to the DAI and power it up, I get a very loud and unbearable screech. :scream_cat:

The manual states,

"Balanced output to connect to external devices such as PA systems and recording consoles.

Isn’t the DAI a recording console?
Am I stuck using the effects loop for this?

1 Like

Is the output of the DAI connected to the aux input on the amp?

2 Likes

I’ve connected the XLR Line out of my Rumble directly to the DAI with no issues or feedback.

No idea ehat could cause this but perhpas @DaveT is into something

1 Like

Sounds like a feedback loop.

If you have an out from the DAI going in to the amp, you cannot have an out from the amp going in to the DAI.

Is there anything else going from your DAI to the amp? Or anything going into the amp at all, besides your bass?

Also, have you turned the gain down on the DAI?

2 Likes

What DAI do you have? Sometimes you have to change settings depending on if it is a mic or instrument you are connecting. Pictures would help with this troubleshooting.

2 Likes

No, it’s connected to one of the input ports. The aux input is a different type of connector.

1 Like

It’s a Zoom U-44

1 Like

No and No

1 Like

Does the Ground Lift on the XLR out solve the problem?

Have you turned down the input gain? Did that solve the problem?

One other possibility here is that DI pedals (which work fine with the XLR inputs on my U-24) generally output at instrument level, while the DI out on the back of your amp is probably at line level. The XLR In on the U-44 is probably mic level. This might be a level issue.

1 Like

I think so too. @PamPurrs when connected to Input 1 on the U-44, have you tried toggling the Hi-Z switch? Have you tried connecting to Input 2?

1 Like

Here’s the connection to the amp head with the effects loop send and the XLR
cable to Line Out.

Here’s the Send connected to input 1 of the DAI.

…and here it is with the XLR connected (screeching happens)

2 Likes

Here’s the settings…

2 Likes

Where are the two Line Out’s going?

1 Like

To the left and right speakers (the Bose speakers we discussed in another thread)

1 Like

hmm, the sound you described (screech) sounds like a feedback loop, but if it didn’t happen with the effects send then is probably isn’t.

I would guess a level issue. In which case you are probably out of luck using the XLR out here.

did you try a very low gain setting on the DAI ?

2 Likes

I’ll try that

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be out much of the day running errands, but will play around with it later in the day when I get home.

1 Like

Okay, I just tried turning the gain all the way down and still get the loud buzzing (screeching)

1 Like

Do you have an XLR->1/4" adapter cable? if so, try plugging the line out signal into the combo in that way. The regular 1/4" jack part of the combo plug should take a line level signal without issue.

2 Likes