Salvage the Lute? Possible project?

To think that these people complain about jazz…

… it’s an affront. Nobody cares if that… thing is tuned or not. It’s about as musical as my belt sander. :rofl:

3 Likes

I thought of a polishing drum at first and thought that those can be mesmerizing

1 Like

Mhhh. I had a thought about the one string bass thing - not sure if the wood would hold the tension against a string with a gauge of bass. Maybe there’s a reason that instrument has so thin strings.

Or am I doing physics wrong again? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if he could chuck wood?)

1 Like

I like my belt sander very much. nice drone sound, especially with the security earplugs.

4 Likes

Remind me to steer clear of your “original compositions” posts; I may lack the necessary capacity for abstract art! :laughing:

3 Likes

Mhhh. I tried the whole time to find out what “peg dope” (or any of the other names for it) translates to in German and I still have not found out. I noticed that the wikipedia article rather mentions instruments like violins and then I went on to google how to fix tuning pegs for violins in the hope that this would lead me to peg dope.
It didn’t.
It lead me to curd soap & chalk which according to the website more or less does what peg dope is for. The website doesn’t mention anything else but to apply curd soap & chalk to the tuning peg. The soap is meant as lubrication and the chalk for friction.

Since the music store I was at had literally no idea what I was talking about while trying to explain and I can’t find anything on amazon I might just try it with the curd soap & chalk approach.

1 Like

Wirbelwachs. :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.de/Pirastro-PIRASTRO-Wirbelwachs/dp/B00V3D10Z2/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=Wirbelwachs&qid=1592531893&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-1

3 Likes

Dammit! Now I feel stupid. Thank you again. It may seem like I wasn’t looking but I was!

I was looking for “paste”, “schmiere”, “Creme” and some other words. But wax? Sigh

2 Likes

No worries, I wouldn’t have called it wax either. lol

But I knew one of the brands was Pirastro so that’s what I searched for.

3 Likes

Ironically some of the original industrial music comes from close to home for Peter too, from Germany and Belgium, not sure about The Netherlands though :slight_smile:

Really! Einstürzende Neubauten is who kicked the whole thing off, more or less.

1 Like

This guy is explaining common problems with pegs and how to handle them.

Peg too tight:
-The hole and the peg has a conical shape so remove the peg and re-install without pushing in too much
-Be careful not to have your strings cut too long. Not more than five fingers or one spread of hand.
-Be careful not to have the wound string to enter the hole with the peg.

Peg too wobbly (uneven surface)
-You can apply talk powder (baby powder) to fill in the uneven surfaces and install the peg

Peg too loose or not entering enough
-If the peg starts coming out on the other side of the hole it means the peg is too small or the hole too large. Change for a larger diameter peg.
-If the peg does not enter enough you would go to a luthier to enlarge the hole with a conic tool (the one from the first video I have shared)

Since your pegs are also wooden it was explained that it could change its shape due to humidity…

4 Likes

Btw the super simple design was a big necessity because the Turkish Bards back in the day were almost always lonesome travelers on foot. Walking from village to village every day ,recounting stories and other folkloric culture. Living on support of the villagers.

So the instrument had to be super light and easy to manage…

Karacaoglan was one of the most famous and I think this statue is pure bad ass.

5 Likes

Yeah. By now I am sorry about how I talked about the instrument in the start - I was just used to the refined e-bass and e-guitars and in comparison…

Thank you again for looking these things up. I’ve watched the other video but I don’t have the tools (maybe will buy them) he had or any replacement pegs anyway. I’ll have a look later at the one you posted now. Appreciate your help.

3 Likes

Okay, my shame in regards to not finding the translation/product in my language on amazon or somewhere is gone.
No Results. Okay. But Kerrigan posted a product with that name!? what’s going on. Let’s check the link. Ok. The product is still there. What if I would search for it now?

and there it is.
Same keyword for the search but different category - the category in the first search is “All” so nothing should b e filtered. This confuses me. Something about the categories for stringed instruments seems to be wrong.

Then there’s the category stringed & pluck instruments > equipment > rosin and the translation software of amazon seems to not really be able to manage between “Rosinen” (raisins) and rosin which doesn’t seem to have a german translation. So now I can buy raisins in the category equipment of stringed instruments.

Anyway. I ordered 2 sets of new strings (those things are delicate), peg dope and because it was just a few bucks and they have a different form than guitar pleks also baglama pleks. Just to look what they’re about or if it’s mabe easier for me to get a consistent tone or something. Might be useful… or not. Not much lost in any case.

Someone who also bought a set of strings also commented to remove the whole peg when stringing the baglama and carefully winding it up and after that putting the peg in and then do the finetuning. I don’t understand how this would be easier on the string though.

1 Like

Yes! Thanks! That worked.
I ordered at amazon first and noticed later that Thomann had it even cheaper. It has taken weeks for the peg dope to arrive and since I ordered something else at Thomann and was worried the other peg dope is lost in delivery I now have 2 peg dope sticks.
I also did not expect it to look like a lipstick. Thought it was bigger but now that I think about it it makes perfect sense.

The category to look for peg dope is something like “accessoires for classical stringed instruments.” Basically look for stuff for violins as those also just have wood pegs. Still amazing that some violins from the 1600s are the non plus ultra regarding violins and no one even matched it. It’s weird. What did Stradivarius know that we don’t? A mystery.

After trying to tune the thing a string broke. It was enough left to try again. I tried again. It broke.

I did not want to open the other package of strings just yet because my patience was thin and I did not want to break my possibly last chance to get all strings on that baglama :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! The result!

Mhhh… weirdly out of sync. Or is it just me? I didn’t do any shifting or syncing on the audio part. Just recorded and cut the video to the relevant bit.

I also noticed the intonation was off and gets really bad higher on the fretboard - I play C# in a fret above where it’s supposed to be. It seems that it’s scaled in a way that there’s also a fret between semitones sometimes. Not sure what to do with that right now. But I can set at least the semitone intervals right… I guess I just have to move the plastic frets to the right position.

4 Likes

Amazing to see that you are playing it. I don’t think I have ever seen anyone playin baglama with finger style :smiley:

3 Likes

I could not figure out a chord for strumming (maybe I should/could tune the strings in a different way).
And I wasn’t precise enough with the baglama pleks for what I wanted to do. Although it would sound better/more even.
Music is music!

3 Likes

Next project idea for you: Shamisen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just bought the baglama because it looked something like a lute for cosplay reasons for my bard and as I know by now it’s also pretty fitting for a bard as real bards used those :slight_smile:

Still impressed by that awesome statue. Gotta try and get one ingame :smiley:

But a possible build project would be an acoustic guitar in the style of a lute/looking like a lute.

1 Like