SBL Groove Trainer app

If you guys haven’t spotted Scott’s Bass Lesson’s Groove Trainer App, you should go investigate it now.
It just made most of my other apps obsolete.
I’m not a SBL fanboy by any means, but the app is worth looking at.
It’s Android and Apple.

9 Likes

Does the app have 25 mins of aimless waffling and then start?

15 Likes

LOL yeah, that would be Scott for sure…

5 Likes

I don’t understand practicing a beat that ramps up in bpm every so many bars. Why is this useful to play songs that don’t do this? Seems dopey to me.

I think Josh’s “skip some beats” and make sure you stay on beat is infinitely more useful and most useful metronome apps can do this. What my metronome app doesn’t have is a list of links to SBL jibber-jabber, and that’s a plus in my book.

3 Likes

@admacdo Can you explain what you get out of this app. Just to help give some perspective.

2 Likes

It can do the skipped beats.
It has a heap of drum loops and some real drum tracks as well.
It has the tone and measured tuners. (I like tone tuners to show non players the method)
It can automatically up the tempo if you’re practicing speed increases. (This is one of the things I appreciate, because I’m lazy and like drilling in sequences until I know them, but making them faster until accuracy falters is a known training technique and it saves me having to manually make it faster)

The only thing I’m not keen on is the links to stuff, but that’s a separate screen that I’ve not been forced to look at, once I knew what it was.

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ll take a look at it.

1 Like

:rofl:

Also it should show notifications like “The one bass trick to change your playing forever!” and “Is bass over?”

5 Likes

“Why you shouldn’t use a six string fretless metronome because they suck”

As much as I don’t mind his stuff, I HATE his marketing

5 Likes

Actually - that does sound pretty good for practicing tempo and timing to me. Adapting to the new tempo when it changes seems like a good exercise for playing on the beat correctly and not getting stuck in your own groove.

4 Likes

Yeah, the marketing. :roll_eyes:
No one should ever call another person, “Low End Lover”.

3 Likes

I, as backend developer, am greatly offended :rofl:

5 Likes

I guess that makes you a back end lover :sunglasses: :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

The app is fantastic. Thanks for sharing :heart:

2 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! This is a great app, and totally free if anyone was wondering.

This is the first metronome I’ve seen off of an electric drum set that actually does speed ramps, which I like a lot for speed practice. But even better are the drum loops. Which both sound great and can be used with on/off bars exactly as it is in Josh’s lessons.

2 Likes

The tempo ramp does seem like a really good practice tool. Might download the app and check it out.

2 Likes

Their online tool was one of the inspirations of Grooveful.io! Glad to see they finally developed an app and that’s not exclusive to subscribers

3 Likes

TE Tuner is what I use for metronome and tuner (for sax), has all the ramp ups/down, skips (random and regular, etc) very powerful app.

I use Drum Genius for drum loops, has zillions of styles.

1 Like

Love that app.

2 Likes