Schecter SGR C4 or Cort Action ab4pj

Hello I want to start playing bass and ı have this 2 basses in my mind. Which one is better/good for starting ? Sgr is more expensive than cort but ı love the look of it,cort is cheaper than sgr (at least in my country)

5 Likes

I am a Schecter fan. I don’t own a Cort and have never played one, but I own a Schecter and love it.
That’s just my opinion on it, I would go Schecter.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion!! I love the look and the pickups of the sgr but the cort is much cheaper in my country. So ı dont wan’t to buy expensive one if it wouldn’t help me (in long period of time) .

3 Likes

From what I understand, Cort are good basses, and I know there are people here that have them and like them.

I think it will not make big difference, unless you feel better playing the Schecter, and that is a personal decision.

I think it would be better to buy the Cort and buy the Beginner 2 Badass lessons instead of spend it on a bass and not take the course.

2 Likes

I think I will wait a chance to visit the stores. Try the basses and buy the better looking and feeling one. But if I can’t visit I think I will go with the schecter. Thanks for the advice!!!

3 Likes

The Cort was one of the basses compared by Josh’s team:

I have a Schecter, but it’s a different model so I couldn’t say anything about the SGR.
Tonewise, the Cort might give you more options with its PJ configuration.
Best would indeed be to get the opportunity to check both out.

2 Likes

I looked the link you gave me before (didnt put the link I dont know why site didnt allowed me) before,but because of they did not reviewed sgr I opened this topic. I love all kinds of music (except pop) and love playing them. So A bass that would allow me to play whatever I want will be great for me. Actually I will be able to have enough money to buy schecter so I want to make sure which one will I buy (since there is no music market in my city and because of corona I dont think I can go out of city) İf you don’t look at the prices,what would you tell me to buy ? (Sorry if my english is incorret,I am turkish.)

3 Likes

I have a Cort Action 4PJ, and I love it – value for money is great, and I love its sound.
Like the Schecter, it is a passive instrument, which implies that you don’t get a huge range of tones, but the tone it does produce (I play it with roundwounds) is nice and juicy. I pepped up the bridge pickup a bit by doing some height adjustment. It’s not as growly as the jazz bass, but it comes close enough – and when you play it through the neck pickup and roll off the tone, it’s punchy and unobtrusive at the same time, taking up its own place in the mix.

I don’t know the Schecter SGR C4, but when it was still available (it’s been discontinued), at €220 it was around the same price as the Cort Action in our neck of the woods. With a slim neck with 24 frets, a low cutout (almost as low as the Cort) to facilitate easy access to the higher frets, and a thin C-profile, I’d say it’s in the same ballpark in terms of playability.

The main difference would be the weight. I can’t find any specification for the SRG that includes the weight, but the Cort Action is very lightweight at 3.6 kg. From the looks of it, I expect the weight of the Schecter to be 4.2 kg or thereabouts.

Keep in mind that, if you haven’t been playing the bass yet, it is quite likely that you will develop a specific preference along your learning trajectory, so don’t break the bank on your first instrument. :wink:

4 Likes

I didn’t understand all of the reply (because of my bad english and bad translate) but sgr is looking like it is heavier then cort (which ı think is a -point for sgr) and its pretty much same in the specs. I wouldn’t buy expensive one but the sgr is looks soooo cool. Thanks for the suggestions!

4 Likes

Buy the Shecter because you obviously want it. If you get the Cort you will not be satisfied because it is not what you want…life is short, don’t justify it, just pay the extra money. Like I told my wife, “I don’t buy the guitars I need, I buy the ones I want” (within reason).

6 Likes

I was a little scared that there wasn’t much review for SGR and I thought if I would buy cort,
it will be better but I think I will definitely get SGR on your recommendation. Thank you!

5 Likes

I just bought an cort ab4pj. I will buy an amp with my leftover money. Didnt want to waste my money to something that I am not %100 gonna (can)play. Thanks for the advises,opinions! I am very thankful to you guys :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve been impressed by the Cort basses I have seen, I am sure it will make a really solid bass for the course. Sounds like you made a good choice.

3 Likes

I think this is the best advice given to your question.

I started with an inexpensive bass (Ibanez SGR 200) that. I bought 2nd hand for $130 with a small CRATE amp.
I started playing along to many youtube videos, doing free lessons on other bass sights, but was lucky enough to find and get involved with Bass Buzz, and the Beginner to Badass course of lessons.
I breezed thru the lessons, loving every second of it, knowing I made the right decision when I decided to learn bass.
I played guitar 20 years ago, but wife and kids ended. And when I started up again about 6 months ago, I picked bass because I think I always wanted. To play it, more so the guitar.
Since I fell in love with playing Bass, I started buying more basses.
Next I bought a Schecter. Elite-5. I play it some and love it, but it is a 5 string, and I decided to focus my learning more on 4 strings, so it is not my main bass, but I love everything about it.

Then I stated buying more cheaper basses, As low as $90, and some more expensive basses. That were great deals 2nd hand. I paid $360 for an ESP LTD B-4E. It was brand new, unplayed, still in the box. It is a $699 list, so it was such a great deal.
I bought other, better Ibanez, and loved them because of their thin neck. I got two more ESP LTD’s
And I bought a Sterling Stingray.

The Stingray was the last of the basses I bought.
Keep in mind that I sold some of the other basses and. Amps.

The point of this story is to point out the importance of the quote from @peterhuppertz.

After everything I bought, played, sold or kept for. One reason or another, The last bass I invested in became the bass I love most and is my number one bass. It took some time, and research, and playing lots of basses to get to it, but this is the bass I love and play most.
Well, I have three Stingrays now, and play them all, along with my ESP LTD B-4E, and Ibanez SR 400.
I noodle on the others, but these are the ones I play daily, and mostly on my Sterling Stingray Ray 4, and it is a $299 bass.

So, more money does not always mean it will be better…For you, or that you will like it more, or you will play it better.
Much of it is how much you like the look, and the feel. Price tag does not mean much.
As long as it is set up right
Which you CAN do yourself.

2 Likes

Exactly what @T_dub has said.
I was fortunate enough to “drop on” a real beauty for a reasonable price when I truly set my heart on becoming a bass player and I was able to afford it at the time. At a low point in my life it also gave me something to focus on rather than becoming a couch potato.

3 Likes

Uhh, I cant figure out which one is tone and which ones are volume. Can someone help me ?

1 Like

Hm, not sure I understand… “Volume” is when you turn it one way it gets completely silent, and the other way it becomes very loud. “Tone” changes the quality of the sound, typically from “duller” to “brighter”.

It should be pretty obvious :smile:

3 Likes

My Cort Action 4PJ is as follows:

• Top knob is master volume
  • Middle knob is neck pickup/bridge pickup balance
  • Bottom is tone.
    The version that Josh tested has a different arrangement:
  • Top knob is neck pickup volume
  • Middle knob is bridge pickup volume
  • Bottom is tone.
3 Likes

So, on an active Bass with a three band eq you likely have 5 dials

One is volume - all the way CCW is silent, all the way CW is max volume
Then you have pick up selection, all the way CCW is bridge and all the way CW is neck, middle is both.
Then you have three tone nobs.
Hi - CCW is cut and CW is full
Mid- CCW is cut and CW is full
Low- CCW is cut and CW is full
you can play around with these settings to see which is which.
I have different basses where the bass is the bottom one and the Hi is the top, or where the bass is the top and the hi is the bottom. the mid is always the mid go figure. :wink:

2 Likes