Schecter vs Ibanez - Experience needed, please

I’m looking at two used basses local to me. A Schecter Stilleto Diamond Series Studio 4 and an Ibanez SR400QM

Price and color aren’t important, though the Ibanez is about half the cost.

Most importantly, how do they feel in comparison? What’s the tone like been the two for someone who primarily plays Southern Rock, Blues, etc.

I’m sure I’d be happy with either, just curious if one has a noticably slimmer neck or something that would effect actually playing it. Any and all information is appreciated.

1 Like

Links to the basses. Apologies if this isn’t allowed

Ibanez

Schecter

1 Like

Schecter not Spector

1 Like

I owned both I prefer Schecter. The one you are looking is just a bit too pricey. You can probably get it around $400. There are a lot to like.

Schecter

Neck Through and through body string.

Standard 35mm soapbar pickups easy to upgrade, EMG or Bartolini to name a few. 24 frets love it. Solid components very stable bridge.

Ibanez
It’s another good choice 24 frets gorgeous colors, good pickups and preamp. My experience with Ibanez is their “signature” tone. kinda nasally mid forward. SR series is a try and true design. Light and comfortable. Millions are sold can’t go wrong.

I’d bargain for that Schecter or look on Guitar center. Good news also the Sam Ash physical stores are closing down and they have good sales you can check there. Both offers 45 days returns.

Are these the ones you are looking for as far as the looks you like or you are looking for basses in a certain price range?

1 Like

Price range doesn’t really bother me. I’m not interested in spending much more than this, but I do want to spend my money on something “keepable”. I was looking seriously at an Epiphone Thunderbird at the local guitar shop, but the sound was just too boomy for me. They had a whole rack of Fenders, but damn they seem unnecessarily heavy and I don’t like the looks very much.

These just happen to be two basses readily available local in a sea of used Gio’s, 174’s and Fenders. Nothing against those basses, they’re certainly better instrument than my Glarry, but they’re cheap enough that I’d order a new 174 for $200 before I dealt with a marketplace weirdo to save $20 :grin:

As I learned to play more I’ve noticed some issues with my Glarry that I can’t overlook. Shocking, right? I’ve almost bought a Yamaha 174 several times now, but keep wondering if I should dedicate more funds to have something nicer. Do I really like the 174 or am I being cheap?

You’re description of “nasal” in regards to the Ibanez is helpful. Yeah, I don’t want that. And honestly something about active basses annoys me. It feels like buying a new laptop but now I have to keep 9v batteries on hand if I want to use the keyboard. I’m literally plugged in to the wall, why? Which leads me back to the 174…but then I see that picture of your Schecter and :heart_eyes: Maybe i need both!

1 Like

I have two Schecters and they are both great basses. would recommend

2 Likes

I’ve owned both, I kept the Schecter and got it a buddy

1 Like

I have been practicing with a Schecter C5 (Diamond Series 2003). I believe they are now called Schecter omen. I can tell you that I love the bass and the range is really good. I bought it brand new online at Musician’s Friend.

1 Like

i haven’t played a schecter but am surprised that people that had both preferred it. i do love my ibanez though, the srh500f (which is an altogether much different animal than the above). i don’t think you can go wrong with either, and you could definitely keep either one long term. assuming you are comfortable with both of them and like the sound.

1 Like

I’ve owned some ESPs and they are good quality; ESP and Schecter are owned by the same dude and I wouldn’t be surprised if they come from the same factories because the build quality is very similar in my experience.

2 Likes

I have a 2023 Schecter C4 GT (made in Indonesia not the better Korean made ones). It’s still money. For perspective, it’s my first quality instrument (I upgraded from my starter which was a lower-end Ibanez). The Ibanez was a good quality starter instrument too for what it’s worth. When I went to upgrade I played both Ibanezes (Ibaneze?, ha ha) and Schecters. In my price range (my Schecter was $730 out-the-door) I thought the Ibanez were good quality too, but I preferred sound and feel of the Schecters. Mine has the active EMG pickups and I prefer the smooth feel of the thin, fast neck. The Stiletto is 1.496 at the nut and thin too. The Studio also has the EMG pickups (EMG 35HZ neck and bridge; mine has EMG 35P4 neck and EMG 35DC bridge). The studio was my second choice. I would definitely recommend.

2 Likes

For production models maybe. Not for the customs though.

They actually had very similar beginnings. Both started out manufacturing custom guitar parts, and evolved into custom instruments and then to mass production. Both have high end custom shops today, so I’m not sure what you mean.

What I mean is they have different high end custom shops.

I would not be surprised if the production models come from the same factories, but the customs definitely do not.

Sorry, I wasn’t understanding what you were saying. My bad

1 Like

Thanks for the input everyone!

Before seeing that ad listed I had never heard of Schecter ( ima noob) and it’s been interesting looking in to them. It’s strange that I’ve not anyone that had a bad thing to say about them. That’s very unlike the Internet!

Something about an active bass requiring a battery just bothers me. I went down some rabbit holes on many different passive and active basses. There’s only one guitar shop in my podunk area and they only stock Fenders, so I don’t really have the option to play anything before buying.

So…I ordered a new TRBX174. Neither of the guys in the ads I linked to at the start of this thread have responded yet. I’ll probably buy both of them and then just keep what I like. I don’t have any brand loyalty and I don’t want to throw money, but I can always unload them later if I decide. I just want something nice and as much as I still enjoy playing my Glarry, there’s some issues that are just annoying.

That green Schecter sure is a pretty thing :heart_eyes:

Excellent beginner bass for sure. Quality will be great for the price.

2 Likes

I actually have three :joy: I forgot about my Stealth 5, it’s great too.

3 Likes

So stealthy not even the owner knows it’s there.

4 Likes

One the lesser expensive end of the spectrum for sure. Since I lack experience with these things I thought it might be a fun experiment to just get some instruments to try at home to see what I like long term. In my house, through my amp, on my own time. Since I’m planning to pick up the Schecter and the Ibanez I figured let’s go after another brand and throw a Yamaha in the mix!

Apples to oranges, but after a lifetime of riding dirt and street bikes I have to admit that Yamaha has earned a fair amount of respect from me.

1 Like