Scott bass lesson vs thebassist.net pick?

Hello all!!!

So I am looking at getting a subscription service from either https://scottsbasslessons.com Or https://thebassist.net/
I am at a loss of what one to pick could anyone that has used or uses one or both give me pros/cons personal opinions? I am just not sure what one will give me the maximum profit for my expense.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @Aldwinn88, To be honest I have no idea but Scott just shits me because he seems to always just showcase Scottā€¦ He explains very little, very quickly then fills his vids with him showing off his playingā€¦ just my opinion.

9 Likes

@russki98 Thanks, like i said Opinions are very welcome!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™d check out talkingbass instead, myself.

7 Likes

i use that also, there is alot of free stuff there that is great! @howard

3 Likes

Scott has a trial periodā€¦ sign up and check it out and then decide! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

i did months ago but i was unable to utilize it :frowning:

3 Likes

Another one worth checking out is StudyBass. Itā€™s free and Andrew is a very good instructor.

9 Likes

In all honesty, I think itā€™ll depend on what you want to get out of your membership with them. Watch their free stuff an decide which seems like a better fit - check out their syllabusā€™ and see which is a better match for what youā€™re looking to learn.

Iā€™m not familiar at all with thebassist.net, but I enjoy Neeleyā€™s videos that Iā€™ve seen. Scottā€™s seems to ramp up too quickly for my taste/ability, but I have no idea how comfortable you are with his lessons.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the advice. I defiantly am going to look through their courses before I make a final decision. I will post my decision on here once I do make it and the reasoning why I went with whom I did.

2 Likes

and please follow-up later with how it all went and what you think of it after youā€™ve gone through itā€¦ Good luck!

2 Likes

I ā€˜ve got Scottā€™s and after the initial surge of the first 5 or so sections of the players path I hit a brick wall.
You have to either print the music for the songs or memorise them as the on screen tabs/music donā€™t keep up between pages.
Scott is a nice enough guy although very self promoting and personally he reminded me of the bloke at the end of the bar Iā€™d punch in the face after he irritated me all night :joy:
But I have anger issues

7 Likes

I signed up over at Scottā€™s the other day for the free trial. I admit he kind of comes off the wrong way but I have learned a few things from the courses I have taken so far. I am going to hang out there for a while until I master some more of the chord tones/Arpeggios and some of the phrasing he has. I doubt I will stay because like many courses I get bored quickly studying the same old stuff over and over. When I was a young guitar player I remember taking lessons for the first two years. I had a great older teacher who taught a lot like Victor Wooten teaches. He would teach me through songs, I would bring in a song we would learn it by ear, and focus on the elements that we learned while playing.

5 Likes

Hey, you should check out Josh Fossgreen - He is THE best online instructor thus far. :wink:

SBL - NOPEā€¦ takes far too long to get to any point. I did the free trial once and saw his youtube vids - unless you have hours and hours to sit and watch videos with your bass on your lap doing nothing - then a 5 minute playing lesson, then listen to him for another 12 minutes - nope - i aint got time for that BS. I am sure he is a wealth of knowledge, but the focus is not for the player to learn ā€˜quicklyā€™ - its to keep subbing for another year and another year etc etc IMO
FBPO (for bass players only) Jon Leibman is a good choice - I sub to his stuff as well - he gets to the playing FASTā€¦maybe a smidge too fast - but hey, if i want to ā€˜get er doneā€™ - he is a good choice. He has a soft demeanor while teaching and his site is easy to navigate.
Another one that is VERY good - but priceyā€¦is TMBG (teach me bass guitar) The instructor is a tad monotone and it leans towards the blues/country styles - but it is incredibly well thought out on screen - finger placements etc.

Thatā€™s all i got :slight_smile:

*I am still struggling with my recent broken hand(twice) - now dexterity is garbage - so, i have to be patientā€¦i am NOT good at that apparently. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Graphics1988 Ouch that sucksā€¦ I dislocated my Left pinky at the middle knuckle (i am right handed) when i was in high school. Ever since then I have been unable to incooperate that 1 finger in my playing it hurts to use and I have tried all sorts of exercises. I have gotten to be quite fast and my span from the other 3 fingers is impressive to say the least.

3 Likes

You do realize which forum you are on, right, @Graphics1988?? :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for those two. Iā€™d not discovered them yet.

2 Likes

Sure do - it was a joke. lolā€¦three coffees will do that to ya

5 Likes

Haha, yeah, OK, should have seen that ā€œwinkieā€ there at the end of your statementā€¦

Fooled me there for a second :grin:

3 Likes

pain isnā€™t it. I broke my left arm as a kid and I canā€™t quite make a fist with my index finger and it tends to stick out straight when Iā€™m not using it. I suppose if we were bass gods fans would think us as having a unique style :slight_smile:

4 Likes