Scott’s Bass Lessons

Have any of you guy tried SBL.?
I took up the 14day free trial and cancelled it after 1 week.
Adam Devine play’s really well but he doesn’t really cater for us true beginners .
Within 3 lesson He was prattling on about scales, chord tomes and although other crap that he hadn’t even discussed with us.
WhenI queried it, his 2Ic came back and said “ Yeah we are ware of it and we will be getting around to ASAP “
Well I don’t know about you guys, I think that is appalling.
You pay over $400AUD for a course that they themselves an it it needs upgrading.
Very poor form.
So one is quit, I still get bombarded with email so I unsubscribed and still they get coming.
I sent them an email requesting the cess and desist but still nothing.
Josh is seriously so much better to teach, he has. Since of humour and really gets us down to the basics, which is what we all need.
My advise, stay right away from SBL unless you intermediate or better.
In the meantime go Josh

God bless

13 Likes

There has been many discussions about SBL and Scott in various threads on this forum. Most of us share the same opinion as you expressed. Do a search for “Scott Devine” or “SBL” and you get many hits.

Scott is a very accomplished bass player, and seems like a fun guy to hang out with and discuss bass over a beer, but his teaching style is lacking.

10 Likes

Hey all,
This is an interesting thread. Before I signed up to BB i had tried following a few SBL vids on youtube and although like @PamPurrs says Scott is very accomplished, i soon got lost in his style, even the beginner vids; they just didn’t make me want to sign up, not like ‘The Blues Box’ lol :blush: 7 Easy Blues Bass Line Formulas (The Blues Box) - YouTube

10 Likes

Yeah, I love that video. It is so indicative of @JoshFossgreen 's style, and makes you want to sign up for his course.

10 Likes

“be sure to apply the blues box safely, with adult supervision” :rofl: :rofl:

10 Likes

What makes Josh’s course so great for me is he never forgets, and knows how to give instructions to, that we are beginners. Which isn’t as easy as you would think. That and Scott just rambles on and on and can annoy the hell out of me. The other guy, Mark I think is better, but also tends to ramp up the skill level way too fast.

15 Likes

It really depends on which course you take with Mark. He has some excellent beginner courses, as well as intermediate and advanced. The nice thing about his courses are they are ala carte. You can pick and choose which courses you want to purchase based on your current skill level and where you want to go with your bass playing, rather than paying a large chunk of money for a subscription.
Unlike Scott, Mark just gets down to business and teaches you what you paid him to teach, without prattling on about some story or personal detail that has nothing to do with bass playing.

9 Likes

So true, and so invaluable!

Anybody have a cloning machine in their back pocket?

5 Likes

Yes, Mark is very good. I like his courses are spelled out in text. I find it helpful to read the lesson before watching it, therefore I am prepared, know what’s coming, and although I still pause and rewind some, I do it a lot less, and get more from the video when reading it first. I think it’s an important feature when you start climbing up the ladder from easy to more advanced.

6 Likes

Toby, are you on the Facebook group, TalkingBass Study Group. It’s a great group, and Mark pops on there frequently with special lessons and a Live Hang every Saturday.

3 Likes

All in all, YouTube is a great tool, but you can easily get lots in a sea of overwhelment. The extra material that goes along with the paid for lessons is important to look for and use, even at SBL. When first going thru the FREE beginner lessons, I quickly started to feel lost, like 9 lessons into the 2nd module, at arpeggios. Then I looked at the forum, and there is a thread that breaks down all the lessons, plus each lesson has some text and Tabs, if you know where to find them. They help for sure, and make SBL more palatable, at least to me, and I like Scott a lot ( like others say, good guy to hang out with) but it still is not enuf to make the paid stuff there worth it for me, there is other good stuff, and we have BassBuzz for life.:+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

6 Likes

:beer: :beer: :beer:

11 Likes

You are spot on Pam.

There is no doubt he’s a great player but a great player does not make a great teacher.
Josh on the other hand suits me to a tee.

He’s clear concise and has a sense of humor.

I know I have made the right choice.

10 Likes

:facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

7 Likes

One of my other hobbies is studying and reading about deliberate practice and skills acquisition. I’ve been lucky to have had quite a long history of learning about disparate things. My introduction to deliberate practice came with UIT pistol shooting. A very experienced international shooting coach was a member of my club and he offered to coach me and two other pistol shooters.
Having shot most of my life in one thing or another, I was a pretty good shot.
Regardless of that, there were plenty of other people in the club who were significantly better. I couldn’t figure it out, but I was 20 and had a job in the military and disposable income. I spent my weekends at the range and shot until I was knee deep in brass.

I wasn’t getting any better.

Undertaking being coached was a revelation. We broke every single sequence of taking a shot into the smallest component and practiced that intensely and while paying great attention to doing it perfectly.

We practiced walking up to the shooting line and taking the same stance.
We practiced placing the pistol in our hands to put it in the exact same place.
We practiced doing nothing but lifting our pistols from 45 degrees to the shooting position and picking up the aligned sights during the lift, so that they were aligned when they stopped.
We practiced squeezing the trigger while the sights were lined up perfectly, so as not to disturb them.
You name it, we did it in small sections and practiced it in multiple repetitions. 15 to 20 minutes each, before moving on to other small parts.
It slowly built a finely honed technique of foundation layers of skill. Each core skill supported the entire shot cycle.
Within three months of this, my performance took off. The Olympics in 1996 all of sudden became an actual reality. I was occasionally performing WAY beyond what I thought I’d ever be capable of and that’s what eventually derailed it all.

This is the power of deliberate practice. I just didn’t know I was doing it.

Later on, I started learning about K Anders Ericcson’s studies into skill acquisition and deliberate practice. You’ll often hear the “10,000 hours to master something” spoken of.
That’s a mistaken quote by Malcolm Gladwell about Ericcson’s research. Much as I like Malcolm, he really screwed it on this one. I own pretty much all of Ericcson’s published work and have read through it all. It’s about 6 inches thick.

If you take 10 experts who all have 10000 hours of training, you might think that the training time might make them experts.
However, what you need to do is get everyone who has had 10,000 hours of training and see if they’re all experts.

This will lead to a different result. After all, some of you have been writing for decades so you’re all writing calligraphy level for everything. Many of you will have been driving a car for decades too, so you’ll all be champions. You’ve all been talking for multiple years, so you’re all debating champions, public speakers etc.

My favourite example was a guy at my archery club who had an unsafe high draw and when we mentioned it, he said that he’d been shooting that way for 20 years. I pointed out that as the current women’s world champion had been shooting for five and he hadn’t been mens world champion for 20, maybe he could handle some instruction?

Anyway, if you go back to the very early aspects of Josh’s introduction to his course, before you even get on it, I think, he mentions that they utilise the techniques of deliberate practice.
So I have been monitoring how that has been going.

In terms of foundation skill laying, I haven’t seen anything as well structured as the BassBuzz course. Fender Play is also very good, but moves way too slowly for me. Studybass is great, but is short on content. Ariane Cap’s Music Theory for Bass Players looks great to go on to next, NOW that I’ve done half of BassBuzz and have a solid foundation of what many others have assumed I know.
The “Curse of Knowledge” afflicts many online tutors (and people in general)
Scott’s Bass Lessons appear to be aimed at someone who isn’t a rank beginner. I have other friends who have played in bands and they love his lessons.
I quite like the things he points out in free five minute videos.
I just wouldn’t send anyone who started where I did with no idea to anywhere other than here unless it was Fender Play for three or four months so that they absolutely decided that bass was for them.

Then I’d encourage them to invest in quality instruction and come here for excellent foundation knowledge and actual dedicated practice.

16 Likes

Bravo!
Well said and well written.
It’s interesting what you say about Fender Play.
I’ve paid to use that and have been until Josh came along.
I know it’s a personal thing but I find Josh even better than FP.
To me they also seem to assume you are better than you really are.
I still dabble with FP but I always go back to BB.
As I said, it’s all personal.

7 Likes

The absolute best thing about bass playing is that there is a style and level of instruction for pretty much everyone, at a level that they will very likely be happy with.

You just have to find it.
Sometimes just the way that something is described makes you get it when other ways didn’t gell.
That’s the benefit of being able to search through so much variation of instruction in the same thing.

7 Likes

Have you checked out Low End University @admacdo?
I would be very interested in your insights to his lessons. I personally like them a lot.
I do really like Scott Devine, and he has great insights and is loaded with skill and knowledge, plus seems like a stand up guy. I started his free courses before coming th BB to take the plunge into B2B. I progressed nicely until I didn’t. It was like one lesson, I was fine, kept up great, was learning a lot. Then all of a sudden, the next lesson, midway thru the module, jumped from new player to skill level of at least 6 months, and I can imagine it might jump like that at other places.
If you read the forum, the lessons are laid out, and there is downloadable content for each lesson, so it’s possible to get there, but you might be stopped at the end of one lesson, working with notes and tabs until you figure it out enough to be ready to move on.
I believe, If I had no money, and had to do only free lessons, that SBL has enough free material, laid out in Course style, that I would manage to learn from it, and get thru it.
Fortunately, B2B and private lessons are an option for me.
I do have all access pass $20 at Low End U for the month, and will prob continue on it for a few months, as I like the Technique module I have almost completed, lots of great practice excercises for left hand strength and dexterity.

Like I said, I would love your critique of Low End U if you have one, or could check it our and lmk.
I would let you in to look if you like :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I have heard of Low End, but haven’t managed to go look yet. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m practicing rather than searching… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can you expand on this. What derailed you?

4 Likes