Sensible or pretentious?

I’m toying with the idea of picking up a bass for travel. Why? We went on holiday back in January for almost three weeks and as much as we had an incredible time, with me being a novice it set my back my progress quite significantly. We’re going away again for a couple of weeks in September and I’m thinking of buying another bass to take away so I can practice. This time, we’re off to the Maldives and there’s little else to do other than lie on the beach or read a book so taking a bass, along with my Tone Pocket, seems a good idea.

I already have two basses, a Squier PJ and a Fender J. I really don’t want to take either of them; my Squier was the first serious birthday present my wife bought for me 22 years ago and my Fender, Christmas pressie from my wife, is, well, a Fender. I’d rather not carry either as hand luggage on a plane, particularly if I’m forced to put it in the hold.

My local store has a leftie Cort Action Plus PJ in stock, it’s not expensive anyway and it’s priced below retail. I like the look of it and it feels good in my grubby paws. I like it although I’d prefer the red one, which they don’t have in stock.

I also travel on business and can be away anything from half a day to several weeks. Either way, the bass won’t gather dust and will be used.

Anyhoo, would buying this bass for travel be a (relatively) sensible thing to do or would it be a little bit pretentious?

6 Likes

You could buy a travel bass. There are a few on the market. Some of the guys here own them. @JerryP and @John_E come to mind. You could also consider a short scale.

5 Likes

Maybe you can rent one locally??? Saves you the hassle to haul it with you…

But, really, a (short) break from playing bass is not necessarily a bad thing - you come back feeling hungry and you’ll be surprised how fast you get back into the groove. Also, I usually take a notebook and a pen with me on travels and like to work out “theory” stuff or rhythms etc on paper. A lot of this stuff sticks better when you write it down for yourself (as opposed to just reading about it) :smile:

8 Likes

@RuknRole thank you.

I’m quite limited in choice being a leftie but I’d be interested to hear from @John_E and @JerryP what specific travel basses are out there.

Another thing I found with the Cort was that it felt incredibly light; I had my Fender with me as I was test driving the Tone Pocket and the Cort felt lighter. I guess it might just be down to something as simple as weight distribution but it felt lighter anyway.

6 Likes

@joergkutter the only things that were for rent last time we were there was water sports gear. I do end up in some seriously ‘off the beaten track’ places where I doubt I find a bass for rent, especially a leftie.

I take your point about a bit of time off can be good but I only usually find time to practice on weekends and never more than two hours over the whole weekend.

4 Likes

A bass Ukelele could be another option provided they make a lefty.

7 Likes

Cheapest way I think is a Harley Benton short scale P Bass for 88 quid. That’s $110 US dollars!

Use a screwdriver and take the neck off. It’ll then fold up into your suitcase. Reassemble in 5 minutes and play away on the beach.

6 Likes

@Barney take the neck off a bass? I can’t change a lightbulb without adult supervision!

3 Likes

For a small fee I can show you :wink:

4 Likes

@RuknRole they’re so small I think they can be just turned upside down and re-strung. I think…

3 Likes

@Barney :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Might want to put tapewounds on that bass to play on the beach in the Maldives… otherwise your strings will rust faster than you can play a major scale :wink:

4 Likes

The problem is the the nut wouldn’t work doing that. The E string is much thicker that the G.

Unless the nut is designed to be removed (I genuinely don’t know) that’s a bit of work.

1 Like

Both @John_E and @JerryP have Travelers TB4p. Inspired by Sonny T from Cory Wong and the WongNote, I switch the nut and reverse the string to make it left and play it upside down right handed. It works like a charm. You just have to reset the intonation.

There’s a headphone jack and AUX port ready to go.

6 Likes

@joergkutter it takes me three days to play a major scale, so that shouldn’t be an issue if I play indoors in the air-conditioning :rofl:

3 Likes

@Barney when I was in the guitar store, they gave me a righty acoustic which one of the boys seemed to think it could be turned but the other pointed out a potential issue with a connection of some sort. I dunno, it went over my head.

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty straightforward. If you reverse the strings the G will fit in the bigger slot where the E string was. But the bigger E string won’t fit into the smaller slot for the G.

3 Likes

Just reverse the nut and problem solved.

3 Likes

@Al1885 they look great but they’re relatively expensive; the basses are double the price of the Cort Action Plus.

3 Likes

Absolutely but our mutual friend doesn’t want to do any kind of tinkering / repair work. Fair enough.

3 Likes