Setting up an amp properly

So, here is my dilemma - I have an Acoustic B300HD amplifier that I absolutely love. What I’m having an issue with is I get the best, deepest bass sound when I have the notch filter engaged and at a certain setting. The problem is, it tends to throttle a lot of the higher notes, especially on the D and G strings. If I adjust the notch to get better sound out of them, I lose the deep bass I’m wanting. If I take the notch out, I lose some of the deep bass and everything sounds too bright. Any ideas on how to get this to work properly?

2 Likes

What happens if you turn the notch off? I can see it being helpful to eq yourself into a group or room but maybe your natural output/signal doesn’t need that particular feature’s help? Just a thought.

1 Like

If I turn it off, I lose some of the richness on the E and A strings. I’m not sure if I’m just expecting too much or what. The notch is great for lower notes though, I just can’t seem to avoid the throttling of some of the higher notes.

2 Likes

I can see the dilemma more clearly now.

Where is the gain set? Maybe it’s compressing the top end sooner because of natural overdrive compression?

1 Like

have you turned down the treble?

1 Like

Yes, I have

1 Like

Gain is set at about 10 o’clock

1 Like

Maybe add a filter pedal to give you full control of the frequencies that get through.
e.g. cut below 30Hz and cut above 2KHz

3 Likes

That is a nice lpf/hpf pedal. You probably have to use it in the FX loop because the problem is after the preamp.

This is already advanced stuff imo.

2 Likes

Are you practicing in a room with big, empty walls by any chance?

1 Like

No, it’s actually a small room with carpeting.

I am using this pedal. It is set to boost the lower freqs and it does help a little.
BEQ700

2 Likes

buy pedals. No excuses required :laughing:

1 Like