s-l640%20(2)

Here it is

4 Likes

Husker Du the board game??
Thatā€™s amazing.

3 Likes

It even has bars where the fake umlauts should be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is Marcus Millerā€™s ā€œTrip Trapā€ from his latest album, which he currently is promoting on tour, and yours truly managed to get tickets for this Sunday - really excited to see the man in the pork pie hat!!

Happy Friday!!

3 Likes

I was reluctant posting this. Idles, GREAT. If you havenā€™t been swayed by hype or fashionistas or the latest cliques, Idles are a (post?) punk band. Very obviously British, with a true sense of political awareness and humanity. They write about the good and GREAT, the bad and the UGLY of Brit life. They drive along with true passion and integrity, theyā€™re one of the reasons Iā€™m proud of who I am.

7 Likes

Boh, just kind of hanging out, being Boh.

edit: Apologies for the minor crosspost but I also posted this in a bigger collection over at:

with some other good JRock to check out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Reluctant? How dare you hold out the IDLES on us.
I like 'em lots.
Keep it coming. And know that any time you put up some aggressive, rocking, punky-metal thing, Iā€™m gunna cheer it on all the way.

5 Likes

Oh shoot @joergkutter I didnā€™t know Marcus had a new record out! I wanna hear all about the show! Seeing him live is so awesome.

Thanks @muff! That pick bass tone is nasty good.

2 Likes

Live Greta Van Fleetā€¦

4 Likes

Happy Friday, everyone!

Here is another (obscure) ā€œkrautrockā€ video for your listening pleasure - a band that goes back to the seventies, but here from a concert in 2009 - Kraan with bass player Hellmut Hattler giving their ā€œVollgas Ahoiā€ (ā€œfull throttle ahoyā€):

Cheers!
3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about Greta Van Fleet. I donā€™t keep up with contemporary bands and the music scene so plenty gets past me. I heard these guys on a rock radio station in the UK a few months back and thought: ā€œWow! A Led Zepplin track Iā€™ve never heard before!ā€ Doh! I did wonder if it was Robert Plantā€™s latest project.

See also Black Star Riders with their Thin Lizzy roots. When I first heard this I thought it must be an old album track or some unreleased Phil Lynott material.

Not much going on for the bass on this one, but plenty of rock!

I think Iā€™m just a dinosaur when it comes to rock music; the more it sounds like the classic bands, the more I like it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s deliberate how he emphasises the ā€œTā€ in G.R.E.A.T, isnā€™t it, @muff Bedrock of British cohesion: Tea! (Iā€™m drinking a big mug of it right now). Quite enjoyed that bit of post-modern socio-political rallying cry.

3 Likes

And one last one for the Stateside guys when they wake - sorry for the thread-bombing.

This isnā€™t bass related in the slightest, although I can almost hear a bass arrangement in my head (but couldnā€™t possibly play it), itā€™s just a beautiful song performed with absolute emotional commitment. Other versions have their values, but only this one has ever moved me to goosebumps, tingles, and yes, tears.

3 Likes

I love it but always want to play The Cocteau Twins version, Thatā€™s when the tears start for me.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s where I first heard it, and itā€™s always stuck with me but a few years ago I did a Youtube search and discovered other versions - including Timā€™s. I just didnā€™t know anything about it.

Iā€™ve now listened to Cocteau Twins, Robert Plant and Sinead Oā€™Connorā€™s take on it. Each is haunting, which must point towards the quality of the song.

Moving on to Tom Waits now. I wonder if his piano has been drinking againā€¦

3 Likes

Ok have you been tappingā€™ my feed? LOL. I have Waits on now, playing along on my acoustic. And he has, heavilyā€¦

2 Likes

Also how heā€™s standing outside a burger van, complaining about the price of a bacon bapā€¦

3 Likes

This Mortal Coil, but yeah, otherwise agree. And itā€™s basically the Cocteau Twins plus or minus, yeah.

Their cover of Roy Harperā€™s ā€œAnother Dayā€ is even better.

Man. I listen to one or both of those almost every day, believe it or not. 4ad - such an amazing label.

2 Likes

Wow, I responded without even thinking, but yr right. Lizā€™s vox straight from heaven.
"Another Day " yes, yr taking me back now. Started digging out my 80ā€™s stuff. Oh my days!

2 Likes

Haha me too now. Itā€™s really hard to overstate how good of a label 4ad was in that timeframe. Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Modern English, Lush, Pixies, a bunch of other stuff. With This Mortal Coil as their house cover band :slight_smile:

The TMC cover of Modern Englishā€™s ā€œSixteen Daysā€ and ā€œGathering Dustā€ is another all time great.

2 Likes