"Share some good music" Friday

I guess you all realize the band name means “do you remember (?)” in either Danish or Swedish (though the umlaut dots are added for effect… :smile:
Must be because of the Minnesotan-Scandinavian historical connection!?!

PS: I live in Denmark…

4 Likes

I love this thread! I hear new stuff every week.

I listened to a ton of Jamiroquai this week and experienced massive bass tone jealousy. So many different bass tones across their repertoire, all of them so horribly delicious.

6 Likes

I have great friends in Denmark! I spent some lovely time in Esbjerg. Travelled a bit through Copenhagen… Such fun music in your part of the world!
Skål!!

4 Likes

I remember that translation only because of the board game Husker Du from back in the '70s

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’m pretty sure they named themselves after the game. Cool to know the translation, though, @joergkutter !

Bob Mould is still touring AFAIK.

3 Likes

Yeah, Copenhagen area here… it is great to live in (or close to) a nation’s capital - usually means a lot of culture going on all the time. The CPH Jazz Festival is kicking off right now - out on the squares and parks during the day and in the clubs and cafes at night. Lots of local talent, but also some big names - Marcus Miller is coming, but I guess I was late trying the get a ticket :cry:

But, it IS Scandinavia, and even though it’s July, there are no guarantees for decent weather or even decent temperatures. I remember, many years ago, Michael Brecker playing open air in Tivoli Gardens (downtown CPH) with Pat Metheny and Bill Stewart - it was uncomfortably chilly that evening and the musicians couldn’t help commenting on that a few times. So, as they came out for the final encore, they had decided to give a furious, high-speed version of (you guessed it) “Summertime” with Metheny basically shredding on his guitar; something you hardly see him do normally :grin:

3 Likes

I had no idea there was a board game called Husker Du… hah, probably never made it across the big pond…

2 Likes

Nice, @JoshFossgreen - very funkeeeee!

And cool vibe on that Wishbone Ash tune, @funplumbin1 - I need to check them out some more! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

s-l640%20(2)

Here it is

4 Likes

Husker Du the board game??
That’s amazing.

3 Likes

It even has bars where the fake umlauts should be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is Marcus Miller’s “Trip Trap” from his latest album, which he currently is promoting on tour, and yours truly managed to get tickets for this Sunday - really excited to see the man in the pork pie hat!!

Happy Friday!!

3 Likes

I was reluctant posting this. Idles, GREAT. If you haven’t been swayed by hype or fashionistas or the latest cliques, Idles are a (post?) punk band. Very obviously British, with a true sense of political awareness and humanity. They write about the good and GREAT, the bad and the UGLY of Brit life. They drive along with true passion and integrity, they’re one of the reasons I’m proud of who I am.

7 Likes

Boh, just kind of hanging out, being Boh.

edit: Apologies for the minor crosspost but I also posted this in a bigger collection over at:

with some other good JRock to check out :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Reluctant? How dare you hold out the IDLES on us.
I like 'em lots.
Keep it coming. And know that any time you put up some aggressive, rocking, punky-metal thing, I’m gunna cheer it on all the way.

5 Likes

Oh shoot @joergkutter I didn’t know Marcus had a new record out! I wanna hear all about the show! Seeing him live is so awesome.

Thanks @muff! That pick bass tone is nasty good.

2 Likes

Live Greta Van Fleet…

4 Likes

Happy Friday, everyone!

Here is another (obscure) “krautrock” video for your listening pleasure - a band that goes back to the seventies, but here from a concert in 2009 - Kraan with bass player Hellmut Hattler giving their “Vollgas Ahoi” (“full throttle ahoy”):

Cheers!
3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about Greta Van Fleet. I don’t keep up with contemporary bands and the music scene so plenty gets past me. I heard these guys on a rock radio station in the UK a few months back and thought: “Wow! A Led Zepplin track I’ve never heard before!” Doh! I did wonder if it was Robert Plant’s latest project.

See also Black Star Riders with their Thin Lizzy roots. When I first heard this I thought it must be an old album track or some unreleased Phil Lynott material.

Not much going on for the bass on this one, but plenty of rock!

I think I’m just a dinosaur when it comes to rock music; the more it sounds like the classic bands, the more I like it.

2 Likes