"Share some good music" Friday

It’s deliberate how he emphasises the “T” in G.R.E.A.T, isn’t it, @muff Bedrock of British cohesion: Tea! (I’m drinking a big mug of it right now). Quite enjoyed that bit of post-modern socio-political rallying cry.

3 Likes

And one last one for the Stateside guys when they wake - sorry for the thread-bombing.

This isn’t bass related in the slightest, although I can almost hear a bass arrangement in my head (but couldn’t possibly play it), it’s just a beautiful song performed with absolute emotional commitment. Other versions have their values, but only this one has ever moved me to goosebumps, tingles, and yes, tears.

3 Likes

I love it but always want to play The Cocteau Twins version, That’s when the tears start for me.

3 Likes

That’s where I first heard it, and it’s always stuck with me but a few years ago I did a Youtube search and discovered other versions - including Tim’s. I just didn’t know anything about it.

I’ve now listened to Cocteau Twins, Robert Plant and Sinead O’Connor’s take on it. Each is haunting, which must point towards the quality of the song.

Moving on to Tom Waits now. I wonder if his piano has been drinking again…

3 Likes

Ok have you been tapping’ my feed? LOL. I have Waits on now, playing along on my acoustic. And he has, heavily…

2 Likes

Also how he’s standing outside a burger van, complaining about the price of a bacon bap…

3 Likes

This Mortal Coil, but yeah, otherwise agree. And it’s basically the Cocteau Twins plus or minus, yeah.

Their cover of Roy Harper’s “Another Day” is even better.

Man. I listen to one or both of those almost every day, believe it or not. 4ad - such an amazing label.

2 Likes

Wow, I responded without even thinking, but yr right. Liz’s vox straight from heaven.
"Another Day " yes, yr taking me back now. Started digging out my 80’s stuff. Oh my days!

2 Likes

Haha me too now. It’s really hard to overstate how good of a label 4ad was in that timeframe. Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Modern English, Lush, Pixies, a bunch of other stuff. With This Mortal Coil as their house cover band :slight_smile:

The TMC cover of Modern English’s “Sixteen Days” and “Gathering Dust” is another all time great.

2 Likes

It turns out that F Chopper Koga published a slap bass instruction DVD eight or nine years ago. The digest for it is on Youtube and the teaser for it is her jamming with Gacharic Spin’s drummer for a few minutes, and then a sample lesson. The jam is pretty sweet.

8 Likes

I am a bit lost now, @howard - is this still the “share some good music Friday” thread, or is it the “small hands need help” thread?? Or, is it the new “girls that are tinier than their instruments” thread?? :grin:

In any case, can you provide English subtitles, onegai shimasu?

5 Likes

All of the above!

But that jam is definitely good music Friday.

2 Likes

All I can say is, WOW!
And she plays a five string!
I have a new idol!

Pam

4 Likes

Yeah she’s super good. Kiyoshi is definitely my favorite recent find.

2 Likes

Is that spotlights reflecting off the frets or does she have LEDs on the neck? (other than the blue dots) So much flashing!

3 Likes

Which one? :slight_smile:

Kiyoshi: reflection
F Chopper: I think those blue dots are LEDs and the rest reflection. She also duct tapes LED strips to guitars.

2 Likes

I think Level 42’s Mark King also has (had) a bass with blue LEDs in or along the fretboard.

4 Likes

I want those LEDssssssssssss.

Nice slap tone, so scoopy it belongs on an ice cream cone.

4 Likes

Pretty sure Vellmor custom makes those for her. It’s good to be a rock star :slight_smile:

Edit: found it!

http://www.vellmor.com/products/detail12.html

7 Likes

Looks like he plays a Status Graphite:

Chris Wolstenholme plays one too:

5 Likes