"Share some good music" Friday

Good sleuthing :ok_hand:

4 Likes

A whole lot of talent in one band…

6 Likes

This, for me, defines what greasy means.

9 Likes

Thanks, @eric.kiser That bassline is gonna hang with me all day now . . . :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Saw Derek Trucks when he was about 17 or 18 - so, still to some extent in his child prodigy days - pretty much in full control of his instrument already back then…

3 Likes

My contribution this week is more of a celebration of the diversity of basses, bass playing styles and the people who play the basses (the noodlers, the shredders, the slappers, the poets, the groovers, the loopers, the nerds, the nihilists, …). I am talking about the “Got bass chops?” series, which now has three volumes. A few well known bass players there, a few lesser knowns, and a few downright weird ones :grin:
Volume one:

Volume two:

Volume three:

Happy Friday!
6 Likes

Awesome! I recognized some of the usual suspects in the first two, maybe like 20% of them tops; the rest were totally new to me.

4 Likes

Yeah, same here… Not sure where they find them :laughing:

4 Likes

And in the same theme from my last post, under 2 string basses, that there’s not one “right” way to construct a bass, there’s not one “right” way to create a bass player either. Neat mix of folks here.

Love how this forum is like a nice water cooler to come to between B2B lessons. I need something to sidetrack me from practice, yet still remain bass-themed :cup_with_straw::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

This Friday I’m dropping some old-school-when-old-school-went-world-music vibes. The bass is effectively covered by the percussion. I’d have loved to hear JPJ add something to this.

Talking of JPJ, here is the bass only track that demonstrates his musicality and restraint.

Have a great weekend everybody!

7 Likes

not sure if you folks will like that … ukrainian deathcore … but in my opinion that’s excellent music

10 Likes

Reita and Kai from The Gazette getting a solo in before the rest of the band comes out.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @terb and @howard! Ehrm, don’t know what to say really… not my kind of music… but cool to have such diverse tastes featured here! I didn’t even know there was such a thing as Ukrainian deathcore… and…uhm… Japanese ninjateen crunchpunk ??? :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Ha! No worries if it isn’t your thing, The Gazette are kind of all over the map stylistically. They have a couple solidly old-school punk albums, a couple industrial metal, some metal, some very Dir En Grey, some rock/pop (even using popcheez like autotune!)

I like maybe a third of what I have heard from them, but their bassist is really solid and worth tracking down. One of those bands where I really like the bass work but the rest is on and off.

5 Likes

Now conversely, for an artist from whom I have liked literally everything they have done: here’s Peter Hook showing you how to play Ceremony (and a bit of She’s Lost Control), on a bass designed by him, one of six made from maple scavenged from The Hacienda’s dance floor :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, I think Peter Hook is now one of my favorite bassists too - I didn’t realize all those years of listening to New Order that these catchy riffs were mostly on a bass. He seems to like to use a lot of the higher notes farther up the fretboard, and maybe let another string drone as background for these. It’s pretty effective, and those are some of my favorite tones on a bass.

Here’s a kid I found on YouTube that just plays Hook bass covers for Joy Division/New Order/Monaco - he’s probably just in high school, but his playing is great. Lol, I think all my online music teachers now are younger than me - it’s awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yeah, he tells the story about this as that in Joy Division, his first amp sucked and he had to play in the upper registers to cut through Sumner and Morris :slight_smile:

He’s done some spokeman work for Yamaha; I like this one:

4 Likes

My favourite Jinjer track, no solo!

9 Likes

Just the range of her vocals, and how she can change them on the fly - just wicked incredible!! I had to hit rewind on these 2 Jinjer videos to see if it was really her, or a different vocalist.

5 Likes

it’s really her :slight_smile:

5 Likes