"Share some good music" Friday

She’s amazing.

4 Likes

She has an unbelievable voice that can also smash it live. The band are bloody amazing too. The bassist is really thoughtful too and isn’t just shredding everything. Plays a tapping style with some beautiful grace notes.

3 Likes

I’m glad you like Jinjer ! speaking about this band, my favourite track is an “old” one :

6 Likes

Thanks to time zones etc, its early morning for me when I start looking at the forum, but most of you will still be sleeping, so let me open Friday 2nd August with something simple, gentle, but still a little bit special.

A great beginner’s bass line for getting timing right without worrying too much about getting around the neck.

3 Likes

My entry this week is another (doomed) attempt to sneak in some fusion (“oh, look, it’s fusion, so let’s ignore it, and bury it underneath a metric ton of good ole Chernobyl plutonium metal”) :grin:
But, really John McLaughlin’s “Recovery” is very fitting for this forum because

• we should all be able to play along with roots and fifths because beneath all that fusion smokescreen it is “just” a blues really
  • Etienne M’Bappe is getting a lot of screentime on the bass here, and, hey, what is that? Why, yes, he is playing with not one, but two gloves!!
  • and - bonus - bass fashion 101 (we haven’t really talked all that much about this yet)! Always wear a vest matching your bass when doing public gigs!

Happy Friday!
8 Likes

:rofl:

Nice bassplayer article on M’Bappe:

6 Likes

it’s Friday ! :partying_face: greetings from France

7 Likes

This is not just my fav vid on this forum, but maybe my favorite thing I’ve heard this year.
This rules.
Thanks for the share.

… and @joergkutter - thanks for staying true to the fusion! Gloved shredding is also much appreciated!!

5 Likes

I’m glad you like it ! good french music is pretty underground but there are good things everywhere :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One of my top 100? all time favourites. I still play this a lot! I like the way the bass hangs on root while the guitar plays the scale.

3 Likes

That was ethereal. Brilliant! I’ve just started on their other tracks from the same session, bloody hell, awesome stuff. Amazing blend of influences.

4 Likes

Wow did NOT expect 2:31 :slight_smile: F**king heavy.

4 Likes

That really got me too!

4 Likes

Very surprising! (Meant in the most positive way!)

It reminded me (a tiny little bit) of another awesome French singer in this re-interpretation of Emerson’s “Trilogy”. Stick with it, the singing heats up significantly around the 6’30 mark or so.

2 Likes

That is when the plutonium rods start falling :grin:

3 Likes

I really don’t know where else to put this, but I managed to get a copy of the film “All Night Long”. As far as I know the only movie to feature Charlie Mingus, acting? Weirdly found out that Pat McGoohan seems to be a great drummer or a brilliant mime! Wiki page here:-

If anyone is interested I can put it on a share site like WeTransfer and the file should be available for a week.

3 Likes

Time to go old school, anyone remember the show Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert?

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

It kind of reminds me of a new, more ethereal and operatic take on Origin of Symmetry-era Muse. So good.

edit: and I can’t believe someone took that style more operatic than OoS without going full Prog Metal :slight_smile:

After insta-subbing to their Youtube channel their style took me back to:

2 Likes

They came gently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I believe it was mimed for the film. There are a couple of places that aren’t quite synched, although I suspected that was simply bad editing.

2 Likes