"Share some good music" Friday

Not sure I have the stomach to sit through a whole movie like that, @muff! Seems a bit like a writer’s/director’s/producer’s wet dream of a re-interpretation of Shakespeare in swinging London with a who-is-who of British actors of the time :rofl:

But, maybe we could have a thread about movies on music or about musicians, where there is a good balance between actors miming and musicians acting… Clint Eastwood’s “Bird” comes to mind. And, dare I mention “Whiplash”…

2 Likes

Love the fat slight fuzzy bass tone here

4 Likes

Soooooo… TGIF!

I can’t remember whether we had talked about these guys already, but that is some cool, minimalistic, groovy funk here, and I really dig the bass:

And, @eric.kiser, maybe show this to your brother to demonstrate that drummers can play soft and still groove eminently :grin:

Happy Friday!

4 Likes

I loved that and it was just what I needed today. Groovy!

2 Likes
5 Likes

Love how this thread gets bumped each week just from having the word “Friday” in the title :sunglasses:

Great tunes to be exposed to, many of which, I would likely not have found on my own or through friends…

5 Likes

Oh, man, @terb, I sure hope you are not suicidal or anything… :open_mouth: :rofl:

2 Likes

I feel it’s something special because we’re basically strangers on the internet, albeit with something in common.

I’m not sure I’m gonna be converted into all that heavy dark ‘metal’. Perhaps I’m too old and soft. For example, I simply can’t get past the 1980s for my recommendations. Here’s this week’s chilled offering from an absolute genius with his very own vibe. Loads of bluesy bass play-along songs from him and early Fleetwood Mac too.

4 Likes

@joergkutter That’s kinda crazy that you posted that song as an example. That is very close to his style and sound these days.

2 Likes

Lol, I’m pretty stuck in the 80’s as well - great pop music and hair bands - I was a little kid, but had 2 big sisters that kept the TV glued to MTV once we got cable. Then the 90’s, when I was in high school, and grunge was the trend. Then my music knowledge nosedives after that :rofl:
All that stuff is lumped under “Classic Rock” now! Unbelievable!

Here’s a video that played a bunch back then, real bad boys of rock n roll, was watching the Netflix documentary “The Dirt” recently that documents all their decadence.

5 Likes

Ha, that is funny… I thought you had said your brother was playing like he was turning drum sticks into sawdust (which is why you needed a bigger amp)!? :grin:

3 Likes

Yes. You are correct. He used to. I hadn’t realized how much his style and skill had changed over the years when I started that thread. He absolutely used to leave shards of wood and sawdust around his kit. I remember getting a splinter in my foot one time from the remnants of dead sticks. Fun times. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Being another guy that is kinda stuck in the 80’s musically, here’s another 80’s song (which also happens to be my personal fave for many reasons):

Enjoy

6 Likes

I’m an old post-punk/goth/new wave/metal kid, basically :slight_smile:

That said, there’s simply so much good music being made today. There has never been a period where there wasn’t, but it’s all just so much easier to find now.

5 Likes

totally agree ! I think there always has been bad and good music, in every style. In my opinion it’s the same thing with every kind of art.

I remember the 90’s when finding good underground music was really hard. Here in France the music we can hear at the radio is incredibly bad, and this has always be … the french radio and TV are a musical desert at best. I was a kid then, discovering hard rock and trash metal by tradding audio cassettes with some buddies at school … it was a hard and slow process, and I missed a lot of great bands. back then, the one who wanted to expand his musical culture had to provide a real effort.

now we have a virtually unlimited access to culture with the internet, and we also have the opportunity to find/“meet” people who can help a lot ! that’s incredibly great !

5 Likes

Haha, I really hated those posers when I was growing up… I kinda embraced new wave as it was emerging - just felt so much fresher and filled with new ideas… but, maybe I just took the whole thing a tad too seriously :smile:

3 Likes

For us older guys, here’s something from the late 60’s. If you like bass, then you probably also enjoy great percussion. So who did it better than Santana? Let your inner hippie roam free!

10 Likes

Another great era for sure - wish I’d been around to experience it - by my time that was called “Classic Rock”, and I knew it would stay around for sure- the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Zeppelin, Santana - just some pure sounds. Kind of a cultural revolution going on too then, and the music expressed it.

Haha, I remember dubbing and trading mix tapes (audio cassettes) - it was sometimes the only way to get some good music into your hands.

Yeah, the internet has changed the game for sure, though, sometimes now, it can feel like information overload!

4 Likes

Let’s celebrate the fact that it is Friday with some music I recently saw on the BassTheWorld channel:

• great RnB/soul song by KellyeAnn Keough
  • really groovy, funky basslines
  • but above all - that killer sound of that Sandberg bass - WOW! (be sure to listen with your 'phones on!)

Happy Friday!

6 Likes

Kinski :

Ocoai :

4 Likes