"Share some good music" Friday

I was trying to think of what Ocoai reminded me of and just kept coming up with “college”. That would not have been out of place at all at half the bars I used to hang out in. Very nice.

5 Likes

Awesome post! I’m excited to see Snarky Puppy in concert in a couple of weeks. I saw them for the first time a few years ago and I really appreciate how well they communicate on stage. Everyone is locked-in. The band seems to really enjoy playing together. Not to mention, Michael League is a great bassist.

4 Likes

Santana was an intense band! Listening to their albums is like taking a journey. I like to follow them up with WAR !!

3 Likes

+1
Have Snarky Puppy tickets for October!!!

4 Likes

Ocoai makes me think of some kind of post- Deep Purple

3 Likes

Marmozets : british kids with an obvious gift for music

1 Like

Excellent version of this song, live at the Hacienda, and basically all Hooky and Morris. Despite Hooky getting like 10 seconds of camera time, because bassist :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Radiohead just messing around jamming in a live webcast, rips out an amazing cover of Ceremony.

I’m not usually a huge Radiohead fan but damn.

2 Likes

And just apropos, to all you big Hook fanbois:

https://bassmagazine.com/gear/bass-centre-releases-new-peter-hook-signature-elite-strings-custom-set

3 Likes

Whoa. That’s quite a bit beefier than the 45/65/85/100’s I have now. I want :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Because it came up in another thread, and I think EVERY bass player should hear the killer bass playing on this record:

Pino Palladino on this track. Other bass players on the record are D’Angelo, Rafael Saadiq, and Charlie Hunter. That album doesn’t mess around.

@terb, nice shares! Marmozets is awesome, really enjoying that right now. Killer overdriven pick bass tone too.

And thanks @howard too! And to everybody for keeping this thread alive. So much good s**t.

5 Likes

yeah, a pretty good candidate for a future cover, again :laughing:

3 Likes

This one will take some cultural explanation.

In Japan, and especially the very traditional areas of Kyoto/Nara/Osaka, Geisha are still a thing. To become one it takes years of training in traditional arts, games, crafts and so on. And so, there is an apprentice level for Geisha, basically a Geisha jedi padawan. They are called Maiko.

Also, in that part of Japan, the language is spoken in a different dialect than in the Tokyo area.

Band Maid is a themed metal band made up of very talented music school grads who dress as maids because the founder was disgruntled from working in a maid cafe in school, and their image is stomping all over the submissive maid thing by being a heavy metal band.

They went to Kyoto, and did an EP re-recording some of their previous songs, but in the Kyoto dialect, and adding traditional instruments. And released it as “Band Maiko.”

Here’s the (more metallic) original:

I mentioned their bass player in the other thread, she’s super good.

4 Likes

This rules. Great share!

3 Likes

no comment needed
4 Likes

@howard Yeah. She is bad ass. Just shredding it. What a great counter point to…

@Marcel That is some serious way back yonder funk. I’m generally not a big funk guy but… damn! I felt that groove start to finish. I think I’m still feeling it. Thank you.

1 Like

To state that the Japenese are a bit crazy is almost akin to stating that the night is a bit dark :grin:

3 Likes

One thing is for sure. They rock very, very hard here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heck Yeah!! UFO is a great band that imho should have been a way bigger success. Pete Way was the first cool bass player!! Great player and an absolute madman.

“Lights Out” is a serious guilty pleasure :slight_smile:

1 Like