"Share some good music" Friday

Happy Friday, mother funkers

4 Likes

Great stuff, @Chris - like made for a Guy Ritchie movie :grin:

Here is something most of you might never heard ofā€¦ Krautrock from the late 70ā€™s!

Eloy ā€œliveā€ and their song ā€œInsideā€ - power guitar, Hammond and analog synths, a crisp bass and a HUUUUGE drumset - what is not to like??? Well, uhm, maybe ze zick German accent :rofl:

Happy Friday!

2 Likes

No problem! Itā€™s kinda funny with them, in my experience, people have either never heard of them or love them. I first heard them in '82 when their Black Tiger came out and when I heard the song ā€œForeverā€ I was hooked-itā€™s my favorite song to this day.

3 Likes

More Krautrock from the 70ā€™s, way before formulaic songs and midrange. Sorry I donā€™t know how to just get the video in the post instead of the link as Iā€™m a bit technically challenged when it comes to sharing stuff in a forum.

3 Likes

Yeah I remember that despite not having a lot of huge fandom they were a staple of AOR radio stations at the time - basically a band that everyone recognized the songs of but no one really knew. Underrated for sure.

2 Likes

Just make sure that the link is on a line all by itself when you make your post, @funplumbin1 . . . :slight_smile:

All best, Joe

2 Likes

Hey @funplumbin1, just hit enter/return, paste the link, and hit enter again! Just did it for you on your Scorpions post. :+1:

2 Likes

Haha, that video is hilarious :rofl:

Thanks for sharing, @funplumbin1

2 Likes

Scorps are still around! They did a pretty solid cover of Tainted Love recently. Thereā€™s a lot of amazing covers of that song and theirs holds its own, at least with Soft Cellā€™s and Coilā€™s covers anyway.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a song by a couple of my Seattle friends. I love the tune, I love Johnā€™s quirky lyric writing style and I love that it has no bass recorded. Enjoy coming up with your own bass line and playing along. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think: Sweeeeet. Thanks for the share.

2 Likes

OK, Friday comes early this week - Happy 4th of July to all of you in the US and US expats!!

I also wanted to share this particular video because of the recent (passionate) discussion about short scale basses elsewhere in this forum (I am looking especially at you, @howard and @Korrigan :sunglasses:)

This weekā€™s video features the talented Russian bassist Anton Davidyants and a rendition of Mike Mainieriā€™s Self Portrait, which has been a staple of all incarnations of Steps Ahead since the 80s.

Yeah, perhaps you could say itā€™s saccharine fusion noodling, but I find it a beautiful and moving piece of music nonetheless and a very nicely done rendition, and you just gotta love that cutesy bass he is playing (which, technically, might not really count as a short scale bass - I guess piccolo basses constitute their own little subgroup!?). Still, an instrument that is very ā€œluggableā€ and which just might fit into the glove compartment of one of them big SUVs :grin:

5 Likes

I really like the tone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I dig it @joergkutter.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d call it a piccolo bass though. Iā€™d say itā€™s more of a 4ths tuned baritone-tenor guitar. :smiley:

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know about piccolo basses until I read the liner notes of Stanley Clarkeā€™s ā€œSchool Daysā€.
I made one myself on an old 4 string.
It was real real fun. You can get piccolo strings wherever you get normal strings. If you have a spare bass, try it out. Another option is to buy singles, or a 6 string set, and discard the low B and E.

4 Likes

Just to clarify for everyoneā€¦ ā€œpiccolo bassā€ is a tuning, not actually a different instrument. Piccolo tuning is an octave higher than standard bass tuning (so E2 A2 D3 G3 instead of E1 A1 D2 G3), the same pitch range as the bottom 4 strings of a guitar.

@Gio: When you say discard the B and E of a 6 string set, are you talking about tenor tuning, ADGC?

2 Likes

Aaaaah, you know you are an experienced bass player whenā€¦

ā€¦ you have a ā€œspare bassā€ lying around :rofl:

So far, the two basses I own are my ā€œbabiesā€ and I couldnā€™t even dream of putting them through some ā€œtreatmentsā€ that the Geneva convention would frown upon :grin:

But, yeah, the first time I heard about a piccolo bass was exactly during my first encounter with ā€œSchool Daysā€!

3 Likes

@Korrigan - yes, thanks for the clarification! Tenor bass is tons of fun. Piccoloā€¦ hurt my fingers. Playing fingerstyle on solid steel strings is too weird.

And @joergkutter - Ha! I know what you mean. I think back on that particular time of life with great fondness. Lots of extra everythings back then. Time, money, bassesā€¦ oh, the joys.

4 Likes

Friday here :slight_smile:

Have some Greg Norton.

4 Likes