"Share some good music" Friday

+1
Have Snarky Puppy tickets for October!!!

4 Likes

Ocoai makes me think of some kind of post- Deep Purple

3 Likes

Marmozets : british kids with an obvious gift for music

1 Like

Excellent version of this song, live at the Hacienda, and basically all Hooky and Morris. Despite Hooky getting like 10 seconds of camera time, because bassist :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Radiohead just messing around jamming in a live webcast, rips out an amazing cover of Ceremony.

I’m not usually a huge Radiohead fan but damn.

2 Likes

And just apropos, to all you big Hook fanbois:

https://bassmagazine.com/gear/bass-centre-releases-new-peter-hook-signature-elite-strings-custom-set

3 Likes

Whoa. That’s quite a bit beefier than the 45/65/85/100’s I have now. I want :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Because it came up in another thread, and I think EVERY bass player should hear the killer bass playing on this record:

Pino Palladino on this track. Other bass players on the record are D’Angelo, Rafael Saadiq, and Charlie Hunter. That album doesn’t mess around.

@terb, nice shares! Marmozets is awesome, really enjoying that right now. Killer overdriven pick bass tone too.

And thanks @howard too! And to everybody for keeping this thread alive. So much good s**t.

5 Likes

yeah, a pretty good candidate for a future cover, again :laughing:

3 Likes

This one will take some cultural explanation.

In Japan, and especially the very traditional areas of Kyoto/Nara/Osaka, Geisha are still a thing. To become one it takes years of training in traditional arts, games, crafts and so on. And so, there is an apprentice level for Geisha, basically a Geisha jedi padawan. They are called Maiko.

Also, in that part of Japan, the language is spoken in a different dialect than in the Tokyo area.

Band Maid is a themed metal band made up of very talented music school grads who dress as maids because the founder was disgruntled from working in a maid cafe in school, and their image is stomping all over the submissive maid thing by being a heavy metal band.

They went to Kyoto, and did an EP re-recording some of their previous songs, but in the Kyoto dialect, and adding traditional instruments. And released it as “Band Maiko.”

Here’s the (more metallic) original:

I mentioned their bass player in the other thread, she’s super good.

4 Likes

This rules. Great share!

3 Likes

no comment needed
4 Likes

@howard Yeah. She is bad ass. Just shredding it. What a great counter point to…

@Marcel That is some serious way back yonder funk. I’m generally not a big funk guy but… damn! I felt that groove start to finish. I think I’m still feeling it. Thank you.

1 Like

To state that the Japenese are a bit crazy is almost akin to stating that the night is a bit dark :grin:

3 Likes

One thing is for sure. They rock very, very hard here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Heck Yeah!! UFO is a great band that imho should have been a way bigger success. Pete Way was the first cool bass player!! Great player and an absolute madman.

“Lights Out” is a serious guilty pleasure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome choice…

They are amazing. Brilliant live act.

so it’s Friday again :partying_face:

Rama is an italian stoner / desert-rock band. They released their first album recently and it’s gorgeous !

Red Sparowes : almost intimate, slow and ambiant post-rock from LA.

Ancestors : deep and slow psychedelic rock with a few doom accents ; they made only one really good album, called In Dreams And Time, but in fact it is more than good.

3 Likes