"Share some good music" Friday

Fork Boy
He who holds the fork in his hand can choose the meal on his plate

Thereā€™s simply something in the keys Japanese music predominantly use that makes every Japanese (I donā€™t know them, but I am quite sure they are not Korean or Chinese simply from the music. I hope ā€¦ :smiley: ) song so much interesting for its mid-range than western music. On the other hand I donā€™t like Japanese vocal writing in comparison to Anglophonic one. But the combination of famous asian work-ethic and Japanese composition makes every live performance a treat. Thanks for the post.

1 Like

Interesting, Iā€™m kind of the opposite for the vocals. A lot of it tends to have really well crafted and complex lyrics.

1 Like

I didnā€™t meant lyrically. I donā€™t find the way how vocals are arranged and what vocal techniques and palettes Japanese music use that interesting. Lyrics are the same like everywhere elese, some ingenisous, some rubbish. But donā€™t get me wrong, thereā€™re Japanese tracks I like for the vocal performance (BABYMETAL - BxMxC (Live Mix) - YouTube ā€¦ Suzuka is like a revelation for example, she is beyond cool and great.)

PS: As English is not my native tongue, sometimes I guess some meaning can be lost in translation. Sorry for that, doing my best.

Interesting. Iā€™d say Babymetal is good primarily because Kami Band is a ridiculously talented backing band (to the point of overkill) more than the singing :slight_smile:

And your English is fine, youā€™re doing great :slight_smile:

IMO in case of Babymetal itā€™s a perfect storm of overkill ā€œstealthā€ band (The drummer is insane.), great choreography and the fact that this whole spectacle is glued together by incredibly talented singer who can actually stay in the show physically and have stage presence of some OG (she is 20, hah). I love the band, but I actually think what Suzuka does is ridiculously hard and the most outstanding part of the whole ensemble. But overall, take one part (including backup dancers ā€¦ for example look at - YouTube ) out and the whole project comes crumbling down.

Thanks.

1 Like

I have to agree I am taken with Suzuka. In person she commands the stage. Thr whole project was envisioned to be a vehicle for her voice as a matter of fact.

As to Japanese music theory, they often use a pentatonic scale called the Hira Joshi scale. That may be what appeals to you. Babymetal spends a lot of time in the Phrygian mode though.

2 Likes

For this song they just asked if she could rap, and she found her flow. Such control of her vocals. You know that Suzuka directs the mix, and has since she was around 14. They say she is quite sophisticated with it.

2 Likes

Well, itā€™s actually the second time a female rapper absolutely blown me away (the fact that she is mainly a singer does a lot). Nicky Minaj Monster part MONSTER - Nicki Minaj's verse (HD) - YouTube is still absolute pinnacle of female rap and I think it will stay there for a long time.

I remember this weekend. It rained so much, when I got home everything was soaked, including my sleeping bag. Still a good time.

Les Claypool and Primus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJCPliYBbKY

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/P7cmpYSy8JY

Good old Aussie metal

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/a7nAt1NW6JE
Itā€™s Friday somewhere right now.

Itā€™s basically black metal rockabilly :smiley:

2 Likes

This is pretty epicā€¦ I like solo type music like this that is tasteful, but sounds great and is technically impressive. Not just about playing fast.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve watched a bunch of his things. I like him because he has developed his own style, which is cool to me regardless of the music.

4 Likes

Marceloā€™s awesome. And his bass setup videos are simply the best ones out there - no BS, simple, and easy to follow.

3 Likes

A beast on two instruments ā€¦

3 Likes

More Aussie rock.
A very under rated band

2 Likes

enuf said

1 Like

There is an obscure movie soundtrack called Times Square with some really good one off tunes from loads of people. The movie was awful, but the soundtrack was and is great. The first song is Suzi.

I dig the matching bass/guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oG9RIXayhI

1 Like

I dig that bass line and the tone is awesome

1 Like