"Share some good music" Friday

You know I have EVERYTHING Bauhaus right? Yes even press the eject and give me the tape! One of those hugely influential British bands for me.

2 Likes

Reminded me of Slipknot covering Sabotage!

Same! I never got to see them live but I did get to see everyone but Peter Murphy twice, once as Love and Rockets and once Tones on Tail. Love all their stuff, still listen to it almost daily.

2 Likes

Reallllllly love the stoner metal history/tutorial here @terb.
Nice tunes all.
And cool to hear a new version of Continuum @joergkutter

Love this thread every week.

2 Likes

Itā€™s still Friday right?

In 2005, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, and Jack Bruce got together for a Cream reunion, and performed ā€œSunshine of your Loveā€ at Albert Hall. The talent of Eric Clapton on guitar goes without saying. Drummer Ginger Baker on drums is amazing, and Jack Bruce on his fretless bass is beyond description. Put your headphones on and listen all the way through, especially the jam at the end.
I was hoping to see Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce hugging at the end, as a show that theyā€™ve resolved their angst toward each other, but that didnā€™t happen.

When Cream drummer, Ginger Baker passed away on October 6th, I decided that I would learn to play Sunshine of your Love and make it my first cover. I can only dream of playing it as well as Jack Bruce, but Iā€™ll do my best.

10 Likes

OK, so I promised to get back to you regarding your ā€œeducationā€ in stoner/sludge and related styles. Sorry for the delay, I was traveling the last couple of daysā€¦

So, yeah, I guess I had no ideas about these styles, because I hadnā€™t (ever) really followed harder stuff, beyond maybe Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple :smile: I had especially not really noticed all the developing sub-genres, whether in hard/metal/alternative/electronic/ā€¦

I had listened to new music (and still do), and I like a lot of different stuff, but I donā€™t necessarily study entire genres or sub-genres, I guess, and therefore I probably wasnā€™t aware of the many ā€œlabelsā€ and sub-genres out there. In any case, it was good to get educated here, and the MusicMap homepage that somebody else mentioned here in this forum helped also!

So, as to your examples: they all contain interesting elements, but, indeed, theyā€™re not necessarily my favorite type of music, i.e., I wouldnā€™t listen to them often (or maybe not at all). Still, the cool thing about this forum (and this thread) is to at least get challenged with new (previously unknown to me) stuff and get a chance to at least sample it.

I hope this also works the other way round (sometimes)?? :grin:

3 Likes

of course ! Iā€™m very curious about music I donā€™t know, and for me thatā€™s exactly the same thing that what you said (or what I understood) : even if I donā€™t listen to a particular genre, itā€™s always a good thing to know it exists :grin: and itā€™s always possible to have a good surprise and to discover a band or a genre we could like !

about the different styles and maybe the ones you may listen to, you might be surprised to learn that Iā€™ve already seen in concert (no particular order, just a few ones Iā€™m thinking about right now) : Chick Corea, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Mike Stern, Stanley Clarke ā€¦ and tons of other non-metal stuff :grin: Iā€™m not a music fundamentalist at all :innocent:

2 Likes

You got it right, @terb :wink:

Me neither - that is just too boring!

2 Likes

This Friday, I give you the God of Bass Face, the criminally underrated Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne.

For anyone not familiar with Mudvayne, the bass often takes centre melodic stage while the guitar takes the purely rhythmic role.

I feel like I may have already posted that second vid in another threadā€¦
4 Likes

Nice @oldthumper!
Happy? from Mudvayne is maybe one of my favorite songs, itā€™s refreshing to see them pops out here. :slight_smile:

Mine for this friday:

Torn between sharing this in humour or music: Itā€™s Friday so decision made. A bit of rap for you - with a very British twist.

(contains some harsh language)

4 Likes

And hereā€™s some ā€˜properā€™ music for the Friday selection. This guy has such an awesome voice, and this song takes a disco classic and brings it back to its roots in funk.

There are a lot of cools tunes on this youtube channel. worth checking it out.

4 Likes

and who can deny the bass player is doing what weā€™ve all done as we finally get a little comfortable with the instrument? Top marks for funky face & bodā€¦ but sandals & socks?

6 Likes

Uh, ohā€¦ typically a sure-fire German giveaway!?! Thatā€™s where my money is :grin:

3 Likes

Iā€™m in the south east US and although I drink my tea, iced cold and sweet, I take it at least as seriously as this guy does. So, yeah, I feel what heā€™s talking about. :grinning:

3 Likes

butā€¦ butā€¦ if you put the milk in first, it stirs itself when you put the water in!

ducking

2 Likes

@eric.kiser - Words of a ā€˜True Southernerā€™!!

2 Likes

I wanted to share something very anti-metal for a change :

4 Likes

Some classic 4ad. Iā€™ve always loved how this song builds. Great bass as well.

It takes a while to get going but really kicks in around 1:30 and itā€™s worth it getting there the slow way.

(another case of a band whose entire catalogue is great, except for the one song they got famous for :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice, @terb!

Ah, my ignorance againā€¦ what exactly is ā€œ4adā€, @howard? Thx!