"Share some good music" Friday

Verified it was Boogie Mosson and not Bootsy that did Erotic City on that soundtrack. Still a great version of that track, Mosson is awesome too.

2 Likes

Saw someone mention this on one of the bassbuzz youtube vid comments, love it. Straddles that line between actual listenable music and widdly showy musicianship perfectly…

7 Likes

Good stuff! And I don’t think it is overly showy - just some guys jamming and playing off of each other. But, yeah, it is a rather thin line very often. In any case, I have seen much worse :grin: Btw, if you like this, you probably should try to see the Flecktones live at some point!

2 Likes

Yeah - TGIF!

Here is the latest from Swedish trio “Dirty Loops” (I guess they have cropped up here in the forum before…). They are “famous” for taking pop songs and re-harmonizing them, infusing jazz, reggae, world, …whatever works.

This one here is one of their own - an, uhm, interesting melange of styles. Great musicianship, for sure, and Henrik Linder is a killer bass player (and former member of The Cure :rofl:).

Enjoy!

6 Likes

I’m seeing them next month in Oakland! So psyched. :slight_smile:

And I love Dirty Loops! The Justin Beiber cover is still my favorite thing…

And you got me on The Cure joke, I had to Google that…

4 Likes

Awesome! I saw them last 1997 in Knoxville (before Jeff Coffin joined)…:astonished:

Haha, that must be an age thing then… hadn’t thought about that at all :grin:Or were they just not known at all in the US?!

2 Likes

Oh no, they’re definitely known in the States, I just took you too seriously because he really does look the part. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh yeah The Cure were and are definitely well known in the US :slight_smile:

Apparently their current tour is amazing.

Hmm, they are headlining the last day of Fuji Rock this year too…

2 Likes

I get to play a gig working the entire material of Alison Krauss’ “Forget About It”. Trigger warning - if you’ve ever broken up with anyone, or had someone breakup with you, or if you have feelings, this album will devastate you. So gorgeous, so beautiful, and so poignant.
This song is one of my favorites.
The entire album is a testament to how to play to a song, and do ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY.
Check out this live video.
Yeah. Some people are this perfect.
Crazy.

5 Likes

Beautiful!

When I was young(er), I thought that only “complicated” music was good music… luckily, I have matured, and can now appreciated how musicians can evoke emotional reactions and trigger moods with the subtlest of means.

You are fortunate to be asked to bring your musicianship (and your soul) to play such music, @Gio!

The song reminded me of Cassandra Wilson’s rendition of “Red River Valley” (warning: all of @Gio’s warnings to the video above apply in a similar fashion!! :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes

great great track. Thanks for the share.

Hey all; was listening to this song yesterday, and was reminded of what a great beginning bass line it has in it. It seems like it’s easy (?), but as some others have said in the “Dream bass line” thread, being able to play ANYthing at an even normal pace is still such a crazy stretch!

(and yeah, I know it’s Thursday, but I just know I’d forget and then have to wait a whole week! LOL)

-Kev

6 Likes

This is very a propos, Kev! We had a bit of a Cure joke last Friday… :smile:

The song is classic Cure - but one weird video! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’ll agree with you on that one; and I missed the Cure reference earlier in the thread, so complete luck!

I did scroll back and look through some of the stuff mentioned and was listening to various videos - really interesting bands/genres!

I wanted to ask Gio (given his love of the Alison Krauss album “Forget About It”); has he heard the album Hearts in Armor by Trisha Yearwood? When he mentioned the Alison album and how “…if you had ever broken up, broke up, etc.”, that album, the ballads specifically, by Trisha are incredibly heartfelt.

-Kev

3 Likes

Ahh awesome! One of my favorites.

My favorite Cure bassline would probably be Play For Today.

Hmm or A Forest.

You can probably tell I am a fan of Seventeen Seconds :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Aaaaaaaaaand… it’s Friday again!

So, these guys (Vulfpeck) were kinda mentioned recently in this thread, but I think they deserve their “own Friday”, given how quirky their videos often are and how groove-driven many of their songs are. Point in case here, where it apparently “gets funkier”… :grin:

If I could play bass lines like these one day, I would die a happy man :sunglasses:

Enjoy!

5 Likes

Yaaaassss! (and they’re from Ann Arbor, MI - where I live!) :sunglasses:

-Kev

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been digging into this week - some classic Pino Palladino on Paul Young’s “No Parlez”. Slapping the crap out of that fretless Stingray!

Nice Cure tunes @howard! All the Cure on the forum has been good for me, due to a combination of youth and ignorance I haven’t listened to them much. Nice bass playing.

So no vids to attach, but am listening to Doug Johns at the moment; anyone know this person/band?
Crazy great bass lines on this album!
I’ve not heard of him before; awesome stuff!

-Kev

Kev - thanks for the recommendation. I’ll… maybe check it out? Rehearsing the Alison Krauss stuff is so brutal already! Not sure how much more I can take! ha.
I’ll check it out for sure.

Also - if you want to reference someone in a post where you’re not directly responding, you can use the “@” symbol. Like, if I want to say hey, @kevwheez - how’s it going?
It helps make sure it doesn’t get buried in a thread somewhere.

3 Likes