"Share some good music" Friday

Haven’t listened to the whole thing yet, but some of the sounds reminded me instantly of Blade Runner (Vangelis) and Tangerine Dream, albeit darker and much more beat-oriented.

There seems indeed to be a resurgence of old-school synths - KORG has re-issued the ARP Odyssey a few years back and more recently also the ARP 2600; now, that is a monster.

1 Like

time to sell my old Korg Poly 800 , maybe :v::grin:

1 Like

If you need the cash… otherwise, nooooooo :sob:

3 Likes

I have been missing my ESQ-1. I found a great VSTi for it though. Might buy it someday.

1 Like

Yeah it is a 6, which I didn’t know existed. The 6 is apparently a modern remake of the Prophet 5, which was a very, very popular and sought after early '80s synth.

3 Likes

a lot of good stuff on the 'tube for this kind of stuff.

Compare to the early electroindustrial stuff that I was super in to back in the day

or more IDM/techno

prominent use of the ESQ-1 in all three of those too :slight_smile:

the last two there are actualy the same people with different band names and very different styles.

1 Like

Hi @howard,
Had a bit of a listen to all the uploads and I liked the first one the best.
Cheers

2 Likes

Virus

1 Like

Yeah the modern dark synthwave stuff is super cool, in part because it basically has 30 years of other electronic music to build on; the early electroindustrial stuff I posted, especially Skinny Puppy, were kind of the foundations of this kind of music back in the late '80s.

Joerg’s comparison to Vangelis is spot on too.

1 Like

More goodies

2 Likes

I like a German band from the seventies/eighties who are very keyboardy.
Their name is Ramses and the album is called la leyla
Great album.
Cheers

2 Likes

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjfg7THneDpAhVKwjgGHV3JC5MQ3ywwAHoECBAQBg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFmiSuG7PuVs&usg=AOvVaw2TClXfRhwJitDscoKfXUpH

1 Like

Very prog! Cool, kind of reminds me of space rock.

@howard: that’s a lot of stuff… I will need to listen more closely later tonight…

@TNKA36: hm, had never heard of Ramses before… if you like them, you surely must dig Eloy (at least from that same period 70s/80s)!?!

2 Likes

Hi @joergkutter,
I love Ramses, I have all their albums, will definitely check out your suggestion and give you some feedback.
It’s like the cowboy Junkies I found on Spotify last week.
I listened to their music and then dug a little deeper and found they have been around for years with 16 albums under their belt and inducted into the Canadian hall of fame.
Their song Crescent moon is awesome, and the bass player has a unique playing style.
They are actually touring Australia next February and I bought tickets to their show.
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Finding new music is a great “side benefit” of this thread, @TNKA36! I realize you found the Cowboy Junkies on Spotify, but the thread here often opens up entirely new avenues as well, leading you down very rewarding paths.

Great that you will see them in concert - let’s hope by then, we are able to have live concerts again!!

Cheers!

5 Likes

One great Danish bassplayer !

Enjoy

6 Likes

The Great Dane with the never-ending name! :blush:

3 Likes

Hi @joergkutter
Very similar to Ramses.
I loved the bass guitar used in live performance of the sun song.
He has some nice basses in his collection.
Thanks for sharing,
I’m gunna have a good listen to their catalogue on Spotify today.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I have an album - DUO - by these two.
I absolutely adore it.
Such wonderful playing - and in the spare setting the two instruments shine.
Great share! Thanks for this.

3 Likes