"Share some good music" Friday

6 Likes
9 Likes

that’s a really excellent bass tone ! and a very nice and appropriate use of the 5th string. great song too by the way

4 Likes

I am totally envious of that tone - one of those days I have to find out for real how to get a tone like that :joy:

5 Likes

here is how I would start for this kind of tone : a Jazz Bass (or similar) with both pickups at 100%, an amp with 10" speakers, and the EQ set with added basses and a liiiiiittle scoop in the midrange. the gain control should be set just before the preamp distortion. and a fat compressor in front of the amp would be cool. not sure about the amp but a SWR or a Mesa Boogie should work pretty well.

4 Likes

Great song from a great band! Cool bass line too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can do that. Well, the first one anyhow. Would love to find a good old Mesa Boogie set up that didn’t cost 20 of my 8 Basses. Lol

1 Like

Thanks, @terb - see, that is what I find amazing… I just don’t “know” stuff like that at all yet… or even have a feeling about that.

By the way, I think she plays EBS amps - are you familiar with them?

5 Likes

yes I saw a few videos and she seems to play EBS amps. I already played some but I don’t know them very well. from what I remember it sounds similar (let’s say “same family”) than SWR (which I know more because a friend has one) : modern and pretty transparent but more in the hot than in the cold (think Hartke) side.

4 Likes

Hm, that gives me an idea (but maybe this already exists?!): could you make a “spectrum” (cold to hot) and place the amps where you see them in that spectrum?? Of course, I wouldn’t hold you accountable or anything and always understand that is subjective to some extent, but it would be a good overview tool for amps (at least the archetypical ones).

Also, if there is a second “parameter” (other than hot-cold) that was important, it could be a 2-dimensional map of amps.

3 Likes

Without necessarily buying an amp, EBS makes a super interesting looking preamp that @eric.kiser found:

might be worth hitting up some youtube reviews to see if it has some tonal coloring like you might like.

4 Likes

why not but it’s very subjective, it depends on the individual setup and “hot or cold” is in fact the sum of various parameters like the EQ color, the dynamics, the THD (total harmonic distorsion) … I’ll try to think about it when I’ll have a bit more time, and maybe I’ll had to require the help of @howard and other geeks like us :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, that would be awesome! More input should make it less “subjective”.
Of course, at that point, we probably also need to move this to another thread again :wink:

2 Likes

From the “nobody except @joergkutter will like this” department: a gorgeous, gorgeous piece of music, composed by Allan Holdsworth, for his daughter Emily – rearranged by Sebastiaan Cornelissen and Marc Guillermont, for Sebastiaan’s upcoming album with Holdsworth Reinterpretations.

It still needed bass. Both Marc and Sebastiaan thought it’d be fitting to have the bass part played by Sebastiaan’s father, Ruud Cornelissen, a retired philharmonic contrabass player, who is a long-time Holdsworth admirer, as well as an enabler for many musicians of a generation after him.

It’s a perfect album closer.

3 Likes

Again a little late for a Friday but the memories this brought back when I heard it today after a long time made me smile :blush:

2 Likes

Haha, I am sure there will be others who appreciate this, for sure!

Ah, so that is the secret special guest… for a while I had wondered whether he might have gotten Jimmy Johnson to play a guest track (especially on Pud Wud); but, this is, in so many ways, much more special, especially for Sebastiaan, and, as you say, a perfect closer to this album.

Pud Wud has always been one of my favorite Holdsworth compositions.

3 Likes

This is so cool. His mustache steals the show, but the music is great too…

1 Like

a friend send me this yesterday. he calls this style “dark synthwave”. I like the songs and the Prophet sounds gorgeous.

2 Likes

Now that’s an old-school synth. Looks like it is a recent remake of the Prophet-5. Very cool.

This is a kind of music similar to styles that I used to be really in to, which is seeing a recent resurgence that I am super happy to see. Lots of good stuff in this genre on Youtube. Having a live drummer for it is unusual too, thanks for sharing this.

2 Likes

I believe it’s a Prophet-6 ; sounds similar than a Prophet-5 to me.

2 Likes