Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

I cannot overstate how Not Easy that bassline is :slight_smile:

3 Likes
5 Likes

A little different something.CARLITOS DEL PUERTO, Los Van Van BASS COVER, Te pone la Cabeza Mala - YouTube

1 Like

Big fan of the late Dee Murray I really love his bassline on Rocketman!

3 Likes

Hi Wildyack and welcome to the forum.
As I am new to the bass I have never noticed the bass part in Rocketman but I have just listened to it and you are right. It is a great bassline
Thanks for posting

1 Like

@wildyack Welcome to the BassBuzz forum! When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

I feel like musical white trash for suggesting something so simple after all you guys are posting all these technically challenging and complex songs, but I have REALLY been digging (no pun intended) Mudshovel by Staind.

I love the intro. That low, growling rumble of the…low D,…B?..sounds amazing.

4 Likes

Never!
I worked with an audio engineer in the studio one time. His motto was “Play Stupider!”. In a Russian accent. Pretty rad. And very good advice.

2 Likes

you’re putting us on surely??

I always liked Alphonso Johnson’s Bahama Mama line. There’s a live version on AliveMuthaForYa (Billy Cobham, Steve Khan, Alphonso, Tom Scott) where the line is great and the bass solo is incredible. I used to say the best bass solo by someone not named Stanley. That was in 1978 though, sign of the times.

3 Likes

Great suggestion, @jazmo1999!

You know, stuff like that is gold for the “good music Friday” thread! Check it out - I fixed that for you :grin:

1 Like

With apologies for spamming:

That fat, fat farting p-bass tone of Paul Simonon:

Jon Stockman’s epic finger stomp at 1:22:

Love the bass and Paul’s singing:

Justin Chancellor’s bass sound that reminds me of an organ out of a JSB suite:

And that menacing dark bass line of Mike Starr:

3 Likes

I was just listening to I Don’t Remember by Peter Gabriel where Tony Levin’s bass line pretty much is the song. He used to spice that up live quite nicely.

2 Likes

Just heard this for the first time a couple weeks ago when my fiance was exercising to it. Had to go look up tabs for it right away!

4 Likes

Descendents - Myage.

The bass does half the work in this song: it opens the track, and introduces the motif, it drives the verses, harmonizes the chorus and even reopens the track twice. This is one of the best example of punk rock basslines not just being about following the root, simply doing the 5th or invertint it and maybe some melodic accompany! Also, shows the strength of the pick on bass: fast alternate picking and a dynamic sound.

If you like it check the rest of this album especially if you love bass, there is much more.

4 Likes

Classic.

2 Likes

Two more nice basslines from a very odd French progressive rock band.

The first track actually has two basses that switch the sharp notes:

This is a type of soul groove, at least one bass is tuned in perfect fifths CGDA, heavy mids cut, high treble and some bass in the EQ. Funky and rolls off smoothly.

The second may be very hard to get into, it’s a dark, droning song, ‘stacked’ tritone melody on the guitar with a heavily syncopated but simple note-wise line but don’t be fooled as it is in an odd meter and the hammer is tricky. The slight drive/fuzz on the bassist’s tone is beautifful. Around 8 minutes there comes a switch that later on gets accelerated and it’s absolutely insane how it pulses with the amazing drums. Listen:

This is a band where even though I am a pick player finger plucking is essential for the tone and attack to get such a sound.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. If you put the normal YouTube URL in your post, it will embed the video instead of just showing a shortcut URL. Just a bit less hassle for people doing lazy browsing like me. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Apologies, I edited it now @JT

3 Likes

The bass line for “Hey Bulldog” by the Beatles. If I could learn that I could die happy.

4 Likes