Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

Or like, “hey, will you come work in my pizzeria?” and then you show up and he’s like “so what kind of flour do you think we should use for the crust? wood shavings?”

4 Likes

Hi everyone,
Darryl here, still jamming along. It’s been a year since I started taking bass lessons (Beginner to Badass) and I’ve made such progress! Instead of total crap, I’m slightly less crap. Practice, practice, practice is the name of the game. I’ve made real progress with --> my pinky, no more flying fingers, better understanding of notes on the fret board, better slides, better hammer-on’s (pull-off’s are hard to do, especially when doing it right).
Back in November I posted here about Sting and Walking on the Moon. Lately I’ve been playing “Driven to Tears” which has a nice driving bass line. I’ve been playing all sorts of stuff both from our book (first 50 bass songs) to songs gleaned from the internet (smoke on the water - deep purple, good times - chic {an insane riff with a pull-off…arrgghhh}, broken wings - Mr.Mr. and more…). However, of all the songs with cool bass lines I came across this one that has blown me away --> Curve by Horror Head. WTF!!! the song is not for everybody, it’s a strange combination of alternative shoe gazing mixed with the sound of the band Garbage (i actually really dig it). But the bass line…Damn! I’ve looked for tabs on it and can find NONE. Dean Garcia (amazing bass player) really killed this one.

3 Likes

Nice bass playing! Interesting to listen to on its own, but supports the song well. Perfect!

Probably been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I’ve always had a fascination for Lullaby. There’s something so haunting about it - my only criticism is that it isn’t 20 minutes longer.

3 Likes

So many great Cure basslines. Lullaby’s great. My faves are “A Forest”, “Play for Today”, and “Disintegration”.

2 Likes

The first band I saw live, the only band I’ve seen twice, the singer I most sound like (on a good day), and a bass line that goes beyond what most punk did at the time. They were one of those punk bands who could really play and write songs but dumbed it down a bit for the mass audience expectations.

3 Likes

Muse. Hysteria. Nuff said.

3 Likes

So good. Check out Josh’s tutorial to learn to play it :slight_smile:

I practice this every day and after months can do the first four bars at about 80% speed reliably. Wolstenholme is a machine.

note to anyone that tries this: this is not a beginner song :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the link @howard. That’s fantastic. A little out of my league for now. Maybe in another module or two :laughing:

2 Likes

I cannot overstate how Not Easy that bassline is :slight_smile:

3 Likes
5 Likes

A little different something.CARLITOS DEL PUERTO, Los Van Van BASS COVER, Te pone la Cabeza Mala - YouTube

1 Like

Big fan of the late Dee Murray I really love his bassline on Rocketman!

3 Likes

Hi Wildyack and welcome to the forum.
As I am new to the bass I have never noticed the bass part in Rocketman but I have just listened to it and you are right. It is a great bassline
Thanks for posting

1 Like

@wildyack Welcome to the BassBuzz forum! When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

I feel like musical white trash for suggesting something so simple after all you guys are posting all these technically challenging and complex songs, but I have REALLY been digging (no pun intended) Mudshovel by Staind.

I love the intro. That low, growling rumble of the…low D,…B?..sounds amazing.

4 Likes

Never!
I worked with an audio engineer in the studio one time. His motto was “Play Stupider!”. In a Russian accent. Pretty rad. And very good advice.

2 Likes

you’re putting us on surely??

I always liked Alphonso Johnson’s Bahama Mama line. There’s a live version on AliveMuthaForYa (Billy Cobham, Steve Khan, Alphonso, Tom Scott) where the line is great and the bass solo is incredible. I used to say the best bass solo by someone not named Stanley. That was in 1978 though, sign of the times.

3 Likes

Great suggestion, @jazmo1999!

You know, stuff like that is gold for the “good music Friday” thread! Check it out - I fixed that for you :grin:

1 Like