Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

Being unable to get these grooves out of my head is probably what pushed to me to buy a bass more than anything

Groove Armada - Fogma

Thievery Corporation - Warning Shots

2 Likes

Classic 80’s Aussie Pub band - Mental As Anything - great bass line in this one!

Wow. Just listened to the Slave for the 1st time. Love it, right up my street. I guess it’s Mark Adams Snr?

I heard Slide for the 1st time last year…my favourite bass line ever (currently😀)…I’m ‘slaving’ away learning all the separate riffs.

Thanks for sharing​:+1::+1::+1:

The Lack of Primus on here is kind of scary. Tommy the Cat, My Name is Mud and Jerry Was a Racecar Driver are all amazing (I could get deep into less known lines)

Flea. Mellowship. (RHCP)

Tim Comerford from Rage Against The Machine. Checkout Bomb Track, Take the Power Back.

Ryan Martinie. This is someone covering him, BUT OMG!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZAnD8L0-c

2 Likes

Yeah, I love Les Claypool, he is one of my favorite bassists and one of my favorite people
I love some of his going off sections like in “Fish On” at the end of Sailing the Seas of cheese. or in Harold of the Rocks, even the toys go winding down.
One of my all time Primus favorites is Groundhogs day. once he id out of the house with his black stomp boots strapped on his feet, he lays into that bass for some whaling good fun…
Yeah, he does so meny good things or things good, either way, he should run for president. LOL

Love Tim Comerford or RATM

I like Robert Trujillio (not Metallica RT) but RT from roots like Suicidal tendencies and The Infectious Grooves

Trujillo did a thing with Claypool for some signature pickups they both had! Was cool. I love groundhogs day! To Defy the laws of tradition intro was one of my first bass riffs.

Comerford just has the baddest bass lines! They aren’t super complex or technical, just groovy and tons of attitude. Him paired with Morello is as perfect a pairing as Flea and Fruciante

1 Like

Like many of you - I got my Spotify “Wrapped” information yesterday. So for Spotify users - what were those bass lines you went to over and over again?

For me it was “Wait for the Moment” by Vulfpeck off the My First Car album followed closely by 1612. Of course the great Joe Dart is on bass. I hadn’t realized how many times I listened to it this year (31) but I do know why I listened: relaxed and laid back but still has groove/funk and gets you moving. I’m amazed by Joe’s solo at about the 2:36 mark - he does the exact opposite of most solos and stays very restrained, mostly following the original line but moving up an octave here and adding in some triplets there - and of course always deep in the pocket, perfectly in time like a damn machine!

Interestingly, he plays a Fender Precision Bass Junior on this track and several others from 2017. Normally he played a Fender Jazz - right up until EBMM made the Joe Dart artist series signature bass. - he’s probably obligated to play that now. I mention it because there are some short scale fans (like me) here. So in addition to Paul McCartney that we always mention - here’s a currently playing dude, in the top 25 bass players of all time according to musicradar, who recorded with a short scale.

So now I’ll go listen for the 32nd time of 2021.

1 Like

When I grow up (as a bass player), I’d like to play this like Paz Lenchantin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM

I don’t keep my hair long enough to do the bun-thing, though.

In the meantime, I’m working on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_9jXfGhd7U

You have to wait until 1:15-ish for the interesting part.

Nutshell by Alice In Chains is such a sad song, but I’m really enjoying learning how to play it. AIC, grunge, and 90s songs in general have such great bass lines.

3 Likes

I love this album. Now I need to learn how to play this!

1 Like

Which album? Ghost in the Machine or Mer de Noms? :slight_smile:
Either (or both?) would be good to learn.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSfo1eqmkI

Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells Finale, always loved this one.

1 Like

Alice in chains MTV unplugged is one of my favourite dvd’s @HSbass
Great concert,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Mike Inez is a great bass player, not only with AIC but also with “Heart”
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Totally. Layne is mesmerizing—an incredibly powerful experience to watch, even on YouTube.

2 Likes

Ghost in the Machine. It probably says something that of the 6 songs I have learned all the way through, two are by The Police! :laughing:

3 Likes

Oh, that says a lot! The Police (and Sting’s solo work) have a special place in my musical memory. In the video for Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, the thing that stood out to my thirteen-year-old self was they acted like such…goofballs. They weren’t trying to act cool; they just looked like they were having fun (though now I know that tension in the mixing room is real! :smiley: ). I was, and still am, a bit of a goofball, and it changed how I felt about playing music.

What are the two songs you learned to play?

1 Like

Yeah this song and that album really stand out in my mind. Visuals of exact places where I heard them always pop up. Not every song does this, very few actually and very odd ducks in general.
Madonna Crazy For You, Rick Springfield’s I’ve Done Everything For You and Jack Wagner’s All I need (I honestly don’t know why) along with most songs from that Police album, and a few others always put in in exact places from high school. Sometimes in my car, on exact streets.

3 Likes

LOL! Memory is a weird thing, isn’t it? I remember exactly where I was when I first heard U2’s Desire (in the car driving over a bridge). The DJ says, “OK, here’s the debut of Desire by U2.” The song plays, and I was blown away. The DJ was too, because after the song was over he said, “Whoa - let’s hear that again.” And he played it a second time. :smiley:

Oh, and in keeping with the topic of this thread, “I like this bass line!”

3 Likes

I think this is still my fave, covered brilliantly by Marta Altesa
https://youtu.be/u_AI2v-4DTs

3 Likes