Share Your Favorite Bass Lines!

One of my favorites is Slave Just the Touch of Love Slave - Just A Touch Of Love - YouTube
and the other is Lets Work by Prince Let's Work - YouTube

2 Likes

it still kills me/amazes me that curve did not at some point become the biggest thing on earth. they were great.

When Lowell George was alive these guys were a great live band. All the individuals are masters and they tie it together very well. Kenny Gradney (bass) and Richie Heyward (drums) were very tight.

1 Like

Mr Cab Driver - Lenny Kravitz the edited MTV video (sorry). This was the first song I looked up the tabs to learn to play all the way through when I got a bass.

No More Tears - Ozzy!

Inner City Blues - Marvin Gaye. 40+ years later and Marvin’s words still apply.

3 Likes

Didn’t read through the whole thread and if this has already been posted, apologies, but this song is all about the bass for me and my favorite. The lovely Sade Adu.

Edit: Fixed video to play within post.
5 Likes

@GalleyCat, when you make your post, put the link on a line all by itself.

That way, it will automatically appear . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Great great tight R&B jams, there.
Tell those guitar players to knock of the antics.
Buncha clowns…

1 Like

@Gio, that was my thought, too. “This isn’t about you.”

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this bass line from Sinner Boy by Rory Gallagher. This live version is pretty true to the studio. It’s a guitar fest so you need to listen for the bass at parts, I just always liked the line.

Don’t think this one has been posted. Nothing too technical, but completely makes and serves the song.

1 Like

Pink Floyd The Wall or earlier stuff w/ Roger Waters on bass

1 Like

Killing Joke is great.

1 Like

“Call Me the Breeze” by Lynyrd Skynyrd, written by JJ Cale.

First bass song I ever learned; very straightforward with some cool walking parts and fun to play!

OK everyone, You may or may not have heard of Free, an english band from the early 70s. These guys were all around 20yrs old at the height of their fame and Andy Frazer, the Bassist was 17!!! Listen to this track Mr Big, it has a huge pounding bass line and a killer bass solo at the end. I have loved it since I was a teenager. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyle6hZLxRc

2 Likes

Later in my years, learned that James Jamerson was borne in a small town not
far from where I grew up. Many Motown groups put off their recordings until Sir James was available. He was definitely a BaddAzz.

4 Likes

The Decendants Myage, and the whole “Milo Goes to college” is awesome, and has been mentioned above.

I really like the driving baselines starting off, and carrying these songs.

First

The next two are one two on the album, and the first leads right into track 2. Maybe not the hardest lines technically, but they grind.
Besides, Corey Parks…
She is fine AF!!! (Seen playing in the 2nd.)

Aww yeah.

2 Likes

such solid punk lines in there. love it!!

2 Likes

My favourite bass lines are
Yes - into the lens & tempus fugit

3 Likes

Just came across this clip from the Blues Brothers, Duck Dunn’s bass line for Shake A Tail Feather is awesome. Great for practicing at a slower tempo too since it covers string jumps and major scales.

4 Likes