Shopping for hardware

People say there’s a plenty of hardware upgrades for basses around to buy.
I was trying to specifically find black hardware upgrades for Sub Ray 4, and I couldn’t find any.

Does anybody know where to look?

3 Likes

I just blacked out my squire jazz.

Hipshot tuners and bridge.
Screws, neck plate and string retainer from stew Mac
Control plate from a random reverb place.

RAY4 you might have to look a little harder.
Look at best bass gear

Look at reverb and eBay
I’m sure you will find.

3 Likes

Yeah, you have to get after market tuners. Amazon is loaded with them.
Hip-shot is probably the best, but you can get ones that are of equivalent quality as the ones on the Ray4, for way cheaper, around $20 a set.

The bridge is a little trickier, but there are a few on Reverb that will do, but it won’t be a match to the bridge you have on your bass, it will look closer to the ones on the Ray34 or EBMM Stingray.

Cover plate you can get for around $10, and new black knobs, you can get direct from Music Man, or you can get after markets for less 9although the real ones are not really expensive, like $8 each IIRC

You would want to look UNDER your bridge, and make sure the re is nothing wrong with the finish, and it didn’t mar the surface, as the new bridge will not cover the entire area that this one does.

If you find a cheaper version of the same bridge, but in black, let me know please.

You can also paint the hardware.
Some people use automotive grade spray paint, and a clear coat and get good results. Not quite as durable as the standard coating, but even that black can face with wear over time.

3 Likes

Plan is to color body and head yellow.

Thanks guys, I’ll try to look harder!

2 Likes

Here are some examples.

Cover Plate

Tuners
HipShot Ultra Lite
HipShot Extender
Generic Black Set

Bridge
HipShot - newer style MM bridge, but it works.

2 Likes

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Classic-Musicman-Style-Bass-Black-Bridge-Replacement-4-strings_p_18165.html

2 Likes

Cool, never heard of that site.
Thats the right shape, it sure is cheaper then Hipshot, so thats nice. I don’t have the money for a HipShot, so if I go black, that might be on my bass.

1 Like

Came also across this site. https://www.musiclily.com/
It’s china based, has all of the stuff, and is cheap af. Bridge for only 5-6 bucks.

1 Like

Yeah, thats SCARY. Of course, the $23 one could be the $5-$6 one coming thru a distributor with mark up???
But its possible it is just too cheaply made to be good to use. Of course, you can try it and only be out a couple bucks, if it sucks you can get the other one.

1 Like

But, now that I am looking at the site. I bought a $6 pick guard of theirs, and it was better then the CUSTOM US made pickguard going for as high as $65, so, maybe it can be used???

1 Like

Whatever it is, I like the prices!

2 Likes

The MM one (I only see chrome and gold) is like $15, so it is probably the same one, just straight from the manufacturer. If they have black, it is probably just fine to use, probably the same thing.

1 Like

That’s where I found the control plate

2 Likes