Short History - Rickenbacker

I came across this YouTube channel and video by chance, but was interested enough to watch.

When watching this great video (on a pretty cool channel on YouTube), I had one of those moments where I felt like the dumbest person on earth.

They say the address of Rickenbacker factory, where it has been since inception, and still remains today, and not only is it only a few miles away from where I live, I have actually worked in a shop on the same street, and I never new they were there.
And to feel even really stupid, when I worked on that street in the early 90’s, I was really into playing music with others, and in a couple bands, but playing guitar rather then bass (only because my best friend already picked a bass, and was left handed, so we could not really swap with each other, otherwise, I would have chose bass as a first choice, but that is a different story, that I have probably already told).

this gives me a thought too. Once I get my next new knee and in a year or so when I am all rehabilitated and ready to go back to work, I may just make them a first stop when looking for a job.
I am a machinist and engineer by trade, but don’t see myself going back to that. Too boring if working in a shop, I am tired of sitting at a computer all day, and / or managing people, and traveling all the time. My kids are all grown (youngest turns 18 on March 3rd) and I don’t have a house, wife and 3 kids to support and raise up anymore. I will need income again, but rather have fun then work my ass off for as much money as I can earn, I rather work somewhere, doing something I want to do, so any job as a tech or mfg of guitars and basses sounds like a great new start. I have plenty of experience to bring, but lots to learn, I am humble and willing to learn, and start lower down the totem pole then where I have been before.

Fender is close, but farther. G&L is closer than Fender and was my other first option, but Rickenbacker is closest, who knew.
Hell, I would work a few weeks just to earn a new bass. There are a lot of other manufacturers within probably a 50 mile radius too, so lots of opportunity. As I get closer to working again, my mind seems to be more set on making or being part of the process of making basses and guitars rather then aerospace/medical/dental/automotive/toolanddie/widgets, etc…

This is a cool video for those of you that also did not know the history. I tell you, I was way off on where I thought Ricks came from.

BTW, in case you don’t know, which I didn’t, the Rickenbacker uses some serious outside the box engineering for pick ups and build. I never knew and always wondered.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’ve had a fascination of Rickenbacker basses for a long time, I just can’t ever bring myself to actually buy one XD I never knew they had 5-strings, either, that really got my attention, though :smile:

Maybe some day I’ll treat myself.
https://tenor.com/view/parks-and-recreation-treat-yourself-goods-clothes-gif-8640375

1 Like

Same, but I could see working for one, and since they are so close to my actual home…maybe some day???

2 Likes

hes got a good one on the firebird/thunderbird and also one on the p-bass.

Stunning basses. Once you go Rickenbacker, you don’t go backenricker - that’s what I say.

Go for it. And if they’re throwing any basses away remember your mates here eh? … :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

Once you go Rickenbacker, you don’t go backenricker - that’s what I say.

Also what the thunderbird fan boys say and I cannot play one of those standing up for any extended period.

1 Like

If you get a gig there Toby @T_dub ,
You might be able to get staff discounts for all of us :joy: :joy: :joy:,
I can always add another Ricky to the family :+1:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

It’s a great channel @T_dub. I started subscribing a few years ago because he asked the question that nobody had asked me on YouTube. How much stuff do you actually need?
His whole philosophy is about reducing it all down to a few really nice things that you love. I’ve been guided by this and it works for me. Less gear, practice more. Everyone is different but I like the bigger question of how much is enough.
This is the video that made me stop and think.

Also some interesting history on the P and J basses as previous mentioned

4 Likes

Oh, I will give it a try. If it works out, I will do my best to see to it that Bass Buzz gets a discount, and of course, any b-stock, used or throw aways will be listed.

I typed Bass Buzz discounts above before reading your post Brian, great minds, right

1 Like

Yes, and his philosophy is a great one. There are exceptions for sure, people that can afford, and or have time to do both, can be successful with each, but it is a nice and refreshing concept that is not often depicted in YouTube or the internet, or in life in general nearly enough. But it is kind of a reverse marketing strategy, and marketing and sales make the world go round, so there is a reason that this is few and far between, but thats also what makes it a special and interesting channel, because it is much different.
You will also note that @JoshFossgreen and BassBuzz (other then the GASSING members) never push gear and always push practice. IIRC, Josh said he learned on the same bass for many years before getting others, and he does not have HUGE collection, even tho he could.

Here is another very interesting one.
The reason I find this one and the Rickenbacker so interesting is that I knew way less about both Rickenbacker and Danelectro then any Leo Fender enterprise (Fender, Music Man and G&L), and it seems that each company, Rick and Dan, were mainly competing with Fender to think outside the box and come up with something different, and boy did they, really different.

The biggest difference I see, and seems obvious are pick up designs on the rick and Danelectro, with Lipsticks (because of cheap and affordable lipstick covers) to those Rick pick ups where the strings ran right thru the magnetic field.
Take those and all the other things they did, and it is really quite amazing, and fortunately, all the Fender, Rick and Danelectro designs are all still being used today. Just so awesome.

1 Like

@T_dub man you would totally be a natural working somewhere like Rickenbacker. One all the dust settles with your current hurdles, you should definitely do this.

2 Likes

Thanks, and yeah, with them so close, I don’t see a downside. I could literally ride a bike there, and when my knees and health are up to par when I can ride a bike that far, I will be ready to work again, and probably would ride a bike there.

1 Like