Short Love

also it’s not all about the sound, and there are a lot of elements to create a final bass tone. every element is a matter of personnal taste and how you use it to create the tone you want. it’s not just the scale.

7 Likes

totally agree. I think the short scale sound is somewhat overblown, to my ears anyways. or maybe I just listen to too many stingrays.

edit: I mean yes, I hear it, I just don’t think it’s night and day. it’s more pronounced in some basses.

7 Likes

I love that tone @itsratso. I think if I add another bass it will be a shorty Stingray.

5 Likes

Yeah the 'ray design is going to go a long way to brighten up any model :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think you will keep that one. I have to be honest, I am not a big fan of the Stingray 5. I hate that big enveloping pick guard they use, instead of a control panel and pick guard. I think it takes away from the classic Stingray Look. Of course they sound fine, but I prefer the 4 string (standard and SS) over the 5. Most 5’s that is, the Sterling Ray25 doesn’t use that pick guard, so that is what I would get if I were going to get a 5 string stingray, most likely, plus they have that gorgeous Toluca Lake Blue (just a hideous mess of a pick guard, but that can be fixed)

I actually Prefer the Ernie Ball Sterling 5 strings better then the Stingray 5.
yes, there is a Model of bass that is called Sterling. it was made before Sterling was a company, and was just one of Ernie Ball’s Sons that liked them a little smaller and lighter, but with similar classic stingray look, or something like that.

They don’t use a control cover, so they only use the teardrop pick guard that I like. They do sound a bit different tho, but still can be punchy and brite, just the pick up has a selector switch for 3 different ways to run the pick up.

4 Likes

so I put baby bear up for sale the other day

bb

and bought… baby bear II?

what’s the difference? the hadean is sold through rondo music and has a really good reputation among the u-bass crowd. the first thing i noticed is it’s a lot heavier then the kala, which I realize is like saying a squirrel weighs more than a mouse. but it is very noticeable. the hadean tuners are terrible compared to the kala. when i got the hadean, the A string was almost inaudible compared to the other strings, this is a common problem on U-bass piezo pickups (and on many piezos in general). this also happened to me to a lesser degree on the Kala. there is a fix floating around out there; however, i couldn’t do it on the kala because it has a different piezo setup then the hadean. but I could do it on the hadean, and like a lot of u-bassers report, it works!

and of course, the hadean isn’t made out of koa wood. soundwise the hadean might roar even a little more than the tiny kala did. any other differences, none that i can think of. oh yeah, one more - it retails for almost a grand cheaper :exploding_head:

so the kala is up for sale currently on my reverb page if anybody wants to take a look. I made the switch because i need the funds to pay for something i’ve got coming that i’m super excited about, stay tuned.

7 Likes

so cute

4 Likes

I love Deerhoof!

4 Likes

well this is certainly interesting :thinking:

5 Likes

Looking forward to @terb seeing this one.

medium scale, under four kilos, sounds like a cross between a P and a Rick, looks like a tele. Matching gibson book-thing headstock. and 400 euros.

Ooh.

2 Likes

yeah it looks strange but very fun !

3 Likes

Better pic:

6 Likes

better color :smiley:

4 Likes

Yeah shows the matching headstock too.

I like this thing. Good price, too.

Also the site claims under 3kg (they say 6 lbs). 42mm nut, satin neck.

Specification
Body: Basswood
Body Colour: Daphne Blue nitro over open-pore woodgrain.
Controls: Volume, Volume, Tone, Tone, 3-way selector
Bridge: 4-string P-style, high-mass, chrome
Pickups: Retrovibe HyGane 8.2K neck and 12K bridge. :slightly_smiling_face:
Neck: Maple, bolt-on construction
Fretboard:
Frets: 20
Body thickness:40mm
Scale length: 813mm (32 inches)
Width at nut: 42mm
Markers: Black dot
Tuners: Closed type
Weight: Approx. 6lbs

Too bad I’ll never see one in person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I plan to do something like a short scale Telecaster bass one day. I already have a Squier Bronco Bass neck for this purpose. not very sure about the specs at this point, but that’s something I’d really like.

4 Likes

the specs of this Retrovibe are really cool

3 Likes

Yeah, I would love to check one out. This thing ticks a few boxes for me.

3 Likes

30" Telebass too:

2 Likes

very cool except the 6-poles pickup !

1 Like

yeah that’s gonna be a problem