Short scale bass for beginner- go or no go?

Hey everyone, I’ve started playing bass a couple of weeks ago and I’m absolutely loving it so far!!! I’ve started because I found my girlfriends bass in her basment collecting dust and thought by myself why not give it a try. It is a ‘Harley Benton PB-Shorty BK Standard Series’ and it is treating me very well so far. I’m not looking to buy a new bass anytime soon but I’m a bit worried that when the time comes, I won’t be able to play a bass with a longer neck if I wanted to. So, I was wondering if there is anyone here that started playing on a scort scale and switched to long scale and would like to share their experience (also advice from others is more than welcome). Perhaps it is good to know that my worries are not that I can’t physically handle a longer scaled bass (I’ve got quite big hands), but more that the switch technique/muscle memory wise is going to be very hard. Kind regards from the Netherlands!!! Ps. Absolutely loving this online bass community

3 Likes

A lot of people have started with guitar and made the switch to long scale, that is similar. Will it be an adjustment? Sure, couple weeks of practice will take care of it though.

You may not want to make the switch, plenty of famous bassists played short scale. Sir Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce of Cream, Bill Wyman of The Rolling Stones, and today Vic DeAngelis of Maneskin. Short on scale does not mean short on tone. Do what works for you.

7 Likes

Thanks for the usefull advice.

2 Likes

I started on a short scale for a year and then switched. It’s no big deal. Glad you’ve started playing bass. Welcome.

6 Likes

I have 3 basses, two 34" Yamahas and a 30" G&L Fallout short scale. I gig the short scale every time simply because I’m just faster on the neck than the 34". I honestly think the Yamaha BB734 has a better tone though. You can switch back and forth effortlessly, not a worry.

4 Likes

My first bass was a medium scale 32”. Going to 34” scale was not a big stretch as the matter of fact, I didn’t know that it was a medium scale until years later, lol.

2 Likes

First off, welcome @bouty . really glad you are here.
Everyone here is right, you’ll get it. It isn’t like you’d be learning to play again from zero. It’s all the same, you’ve just got more on the full scale-but that isn’t really everything. I know i get serious sick bass tone from my short scale.

4 Likes