Short scale bass review

Since we’re making our Christmas list to Santa, here’s what I’ve got my eye on:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Mustang-Bass-Ebony-Fingerboard-Limited-Edition-Black-1500000272911.gc

5 Likes

@JerryP I’ll try and talk to the big man for you, but this is my First year on the nice list in 3 decades. So doubt he will care for my opinion. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

@bernds64 I like B&W pics
If I could have a white bass I would also want a white fretboard. Nice pair of bass
Jamie

5 Likes

Thanx @Mao yes green is a very nice addition, although it kills my black and white preference :grimacing:

Thank you @Jamietashi a white fretboard would be killer but i haven´t seen one yet

Maybe after white i should go for a black one again . . .

but for this one there has to be xmas, birthday, insurance payment etc. every month :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

@Jamietashi, @bernds64:

Moon Bass has (or has made) a Larry Graham model all in white:

7 Likes

I don’t think I can pull that look off

7 Likes

In a white suit and white fedora… yeah!! :man_dancing:

7 Likes

Nice but i had to change all the hardware :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

i will need an evidence for that :joy:

5 Likes

I like the look of the Schecter Banshee… but to actually buy one? :thinking:

https://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/2020-1/banshee-bass-vintage-pelham-blue-detail

8 Likes

I absolutely love that look. Only improvement would be a less metallic color like one of the Fender pastels. That headstock is amazing. Alternating inlay dots look killer too. Fantastic.

8 Likes

Oh my @Krescht !

That’s ironed out a few things I don’t like about the Fenders ( the big headstock, plug for the cable in the side etc)
That’s a really awesome bass.

Meanwhile I have been looking at the Squier Mustang and wondering why I would need to splash the cash on an MIM Mustang for over 3 times the price.
I understand that the pickups and probably the pots are better quality but I can always replace them. The Squier is strings through the body and pretty much identical in most other specs.
Hmmmmmmm

Can any of you Squier owners give me any negatives about their models please?

6 Likes

i read about string action and that its adjustment aren´t as good, but just read, not experienced! For me a reason not to go for it and the PU. Besides that a nice instrument

3 Likes

G&L USA Fallout 30" SS for 1299 GBP instead of 1750

or cheaper 549

6 Likes

Mac I think if you covered the headstock of the mia mim or a squire you would be hard pressed to spot the difference.
Jamie

3 Likes

Awesome @Jamietashi
Thank you

1 Like

I have a Ibanez Mikro (Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Short-Scale Bass Guitar Transparent Red Rosewood | Guitar Center). This is the first (and only) bass I bought. A friend of mine did loan me his old bass which was a full-sized one – that’s actually what I used for a while to decide on if I wanted to learn the bass. I never had the full sized one set-up and it had quite a bit of wear and tear on it.

Since this is really the only bass I’m familiar with, I can’t compare it to other basses, but what I do like is that it’s short scale. I have relatively short fingers (or maybe just not very good at stretching my fingers apart), so on a full sized bass I struggled a bit to get to some of the notes on the lower frets. The mikro bass is more manageable for me, although I still can’t play a full scale on the lower frets without a little micro movement of the hands.

I had trouble with the slap technique on this. It’s quite possible I’m just terrible with slap, but I found that I while could kind of slap on the E and A strings, the G string – could never get a good slap on that. The other thing for this model is that there’s 3 pick ups, but the one in the middle that you could rest your thumb on is quite a bit above the E string, so if you only want to rest your thumb on the pick up, it’s a bit of a stretch to get to the G string. I ended up modifying my technique to rest my thumb on the edge of the fretboard instead.

It doesn’t have a very deep sound, perhaps a result of it being a short scale. But all in all, I’ve enjoyed this as my first bass, and will continuing using it. At some point, I may try getting a full sized bass, or maybe just a higher end short scale, but I’m happy with this for now. I was able to start my musical journey for about $250 (guitar and cheap practice amp).

4 Likes

I’ve recently got my hands on a Mikro and alternate between that a full size pretty much daily . I move my thumb from the pickup to the A string so no stretching and it does pretty much play like a full size . The length of the scale does mean there is a bit more twang than on a full size but it’s all part of the fun. The frets remind me of a 6 string guitar neck which is quite appealing.
I’m going to splash on another short or medium scale in the near future though as I want a slightly longer scale than the Mikro offers. Maybe a Squier or even I’m feeling particularly rich a Fender but I’m really feeling the short scale vibe.

4 Likes

Mac I went for the ESP LTD and it came with rounds, swapped out for Rotowound nylon wrapped. It gives a very big sound. Although once i swap out the pups I can imagine it will be better still.
Jamie

3 Likes

Almost everyone has problems slapping on the higher strings, it’s just easier to do it on the fat ones, so you’re fine. Never heard anybody complain about the lack of low end on a mikro though (I’ve got one too). It’s certainly not because it’s short scale which tends to give you more perceived low end.

4 Likes